Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
serverbaboon
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Bennett

Sure Backup and Vcenter

Post by serverbaboon »

Not sure if this has been discussed before but has anyone successfully used Surebackup with their Vcenter backup, I am wondering if I can use this to test a 5.5 upgrade of my 5.1 Vcenter and database servers but wanted to check whether it was safe.

I realise that it should be safe but just checking for hidden issues like Surebackups of RDM presented servers needing the remove disk feature enabled.

Currently using Veeam B&R 7.0 P4 with a host based backup of the Vcentre and its SQL database server.

I have notice that that the Vcenter backup issues with 6.5 have been fixed in 7.0 but I have not had a chance to test changing the job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Sure Backup and Vcenter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Steve,

Assuming you will have all dependent VMs backed up as well (like SQL Server, AD) in order to boot up your vCenter Server in isolated lab, I do not foresee any issues with this configuration.

Thank you!
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

The only downside I can see is VCenter VM in lab will not see your ESXi hosts. So you could check upgrade of VCenter itself, SSO and other possible problem sources related to VCenter. But it will be impossible to check how that upgrade influence connection between VCenter and hosts.
serverbaboon
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Bennett

Post by serverbaboon »

Yes thanks, I realise that, and I would prefer it that way for a test, I just want to do a basic run though in safety of the upgrade process.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, our SandBox functionality was designed for these purposes, please keep us updated on how the testing goes.
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

[MERGED]: Surebackup test vcenter upgrade

Post by kjstech »

Hello. We have a vcenter that runs on a Windows Server 2008 R2 vm, backed up via Veeam of course. I just wanted to check that if I create a Sure Backup job with this vcenter and a dc/dns server (for authentication) just to test / play upgrading that vcenter server and all its add-ons from ESXi 5 to 6u2 (for practice), its not going to implode on itself will it? :roll:

Only reason why I ask is because its vCenter and veeam talks to vCenter, so bringing it up in a temporary sure backup lab isn't going to cause harm, to the existing environment (veeam or Esxi hosts otherwise).