Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EzE
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric H

SureBackup application VERY slow (sharepoint)

Post by EzE »

Getting into using SureBackup jobs to validate our backups, and initially things looked fine. Veeam backups of SharePoint restored into a SureBackup lab in Hyper-V (standalone host) works successfully. VM's run fine (1 sharepoint web app, 1 SQL DB, 1 DC), DB's are functional, file transfers are fast, pings are fast, and SharePoint pages do load. However, SharePoint page loads are incredibly slow. 2-3 minutes to load each page, no matter if it's been cached already. On the surebackup restored VM's, I have re-installed integration services, removed/re-added the virtual NIC, disabled IP6, increased allocated memory, verified virtual Lab network settings with Veeam support, and still can't find the reason for the slow app. This may very well be a Hyper-V network thing, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. I'm concerned that there might be something wrong with my backups. I have tried multiple restore points.

Barring any quick fixes, my next thought is to restore the two servers onto the production cluster temporarily. I would have to bring down the prod sharepoint servers, restore from Veeam as new names, test functionality (and tell users not to connect), then delete the restored VM's and bring up the prod servers again.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup application VERY slow (sharepoint)

Post by foggy »

Eric, were you able to perform further tests? I'd assume that the issue lies in your backup repository - what kind of repository it is? Loading SharePoint pages requires large amount of small random reads from backup files (this is how SQL Server works), which is most likely not something where your backup storage performs well.

That said, is loading pages really required during automatic recoverability tests?