Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adam1942
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Browne

SureBackup Domain controllers

Post by adam1942 »

I'm having an issue on an R&D project. Basically when I run SureBackup my DC boots once in to Directory Restore mode. Nothing else happens. I manually have to open Msconfig and change the boot options to ensure the server completes a standard boot.

I've read several threads (http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... 0-150.html and http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 18739.html) but I'm still at a loss. The DC OS is Server 2012, the NIC is VMXNet3.

Can anyone confirm if there are any issues with the SureBackup, Domain Controllers and Server 2012?

Cheers,
Adam.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup Domain controllers

Post by foggy »

Adam, is there anything special in the VM Event Log? Have you contacted technical support already?
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Post by davidb1234 » 1 person likes this post

I can confirm there most certainly is issues with 2012 R2 DCs, surebackup jobs, etc.

Foggy I have had multiple tickets open as well regarding this same behavior. I was given fixed DLLs and the problem returns occasionally and I am forced to reboot my DC and take another backup. Something is definately amiss with 2012 R2 DCs and Veeam backups. We had problems with our 2012 R2 DC surebackup jobs as well.

I was told this MIGHT be fixed in the next version....
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

OP is talking about DC running under Windows Server 2012 (not Windows Server 2012 R2).
davidb1234
Expert

Post by davidb1234 » 2 people like this post

foggy wrote:OP is talking about DC running under Windows Server 2012 (not Windows Server 2012 R2).
I assume it is the same issue. It occurs for us with 2012 as well as 2012 R2. We just don't have 2012 DCs any longer.

I am having the issue right now in fact. My backup job is successful night after night and we do a surebackup job EVERY day to confirm and today it fails randomly. There was no issue with the backup job. No changes made to environment or jobs. DC in surebackup job just won't allow logon todays. No logon server available to service request.

EDIT: I see that OP is able to log in and set burflags. I can't even get that far. So probably different issue. There is definately problems with 2012 servers and Veeam surebackup jobs through. We have had a lot of issues and they continue. This needs work. We have ZERO issues with 2008 R2 DCs and surebackup jobs.

EDIT2: I was able to resolve my 2012 R2 surebackup issue today by rebooting the DC and takening another backup. Just taking another full backup did nothing to resolve the issue. This has happened multiple times now. Something is not right. I don't understand why rebooting the DC and taking another backup fixes the issue. There was no errors and my DC was functioning fine. It mostly sits idle.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yep, I've just clarified with QA, 2012 is also affected. Btw, there are a couple of fixes regarding that in patch 4, which is already available through support, so once again I recommend contacting them.
davidb1234
Expert

Post by davidb1234 »

I have multiple times regarding this issue and no patch was mentioned. I must have just become available. Do you know when patch 4 will be released to the public?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No need to wait until GA, you can get it through support right now.
adam1942
Service Provider

Post by adam1942 »

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I cant log a support call against this license as its a trial license and has expired now. Our Hosting (Service provider) license is used else where so wasn't sure if I could log against this or not. This was purely R&D to confirm how we thought SureBackup should/did work. Also because the trial license has expired I'm now unable to complete another backup to see if this resolves the issue.

Seeing as I got round the issue and you guys are saying a patch is in version 4 I'm happy to ignore and continue.

Out of interest is there a possibility of getting a test license or can we use our Hosting license in a R&D environment?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Adam,

You can ask your sales rep to extend the trial key and then finish all your testings.

Thanks!
adam1942
Service Provider

Post by adam1942 »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thank you ill contact them now.

Regards,
Adam.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue. I've opened the Case # 00578747

Veeam 7.0 Patch 4 didn't help in my environment: Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller start in DSRM mode but then don't reboot to normal state

Cheers,

Marco
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm... patch 4 was supposed to fix this for Windows Server 2012 R2 DCs, please keep us updated on what our engineer finds out. BTW, have you tried running different restore points in the SB job?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you're most likely experiencing some different issue from the one discussed in this thread, probably this is more appropriate topic for this. Please keep working with support.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

You are right Foggy, the topic suggested is exactly my problem!
Pagey
Novice
Full Name: Rowan Page

Post by Pagey »

where is this issue at, I am powering on replicas of 2012 R2 DC's and experiencing issues as discussed in this thread, the DC restarts automatically as intended and exits repair mode, but the after the second boot Active Directory is not available
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Rowan, looks like you're describing a different behavior. Besides, everybody in this thread discuss DC issues in SureBackup lab, not while starting the replica (or are you talking about SureReplica?). Anyway, I recommend contacting technical support with this.