Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmmorrell
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Morrell

SureBackup Job Times Out Before OS Loads

Post by jmmorrell »

I've been trying to run a SureBackup job for a SQL server. I get an error that the OS has not booted in the allotted time. I adjusted the Maximum allowed boot time to 45 minutes and still get this error. I've tried running it several different times and extending the time to 1.5 hours. Sometimes I can get to the login screen but I barely have enough time before the time runs out and Veeam starts to cleanup the VM.

The SQL server is running Server 2008 R2.
The Veeam server is running Server 2012 R2. Veeam version 7.0.0.871

Here are a few observations from the session log:
- The VM gets created and registered in vCenter.
- I can open the console to the VM and the "loading" bar for Windows is displayed until it times out. It never gets to the CTRL + ALT + DEL login screen.
- Sometimes I get an error "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\NfsDatastore\<virtual machine name> during the publishing phase
- Since it never gets to the login screen I cannot check to see if VMware tools has started. This was something Veeam support asked me to check.

Question: Is it normal for the VM to remain at the loading screen for so long? How long should it typically take for the VM start up? I'm wondering if the isolated network is causing network services to not start and it turn causing the long load time. Also during this time it's not able to contact the domain controller.

I am going to open a ticket with Veeam support but just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience with SureBackup.

Regards,

Jim
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup Job Times Out Before OS Loads

Post by foggy »

Jim, is this the only VM that has this issue or you just haven't tested other VMs? What is you app group/virtual lab configuration, on what storage is the backup stored and where vPowerNFS service is running?
Typically, VM boot time in the virtual lab should be comparable to the one for the corresponding production VM (a bit slower, depending on the storage, but not significantly).