Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mdmd
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

Surebackup - Lab VM ips

Post by mdmd »

HI all,

Im very new to Veeam however seem to be running into a problem. If it is a problem, im not sure.

We have 2 domains, one small 2012 domain(2DCs) and our larger 2008 R2 domain (5 Dcs).

All our admin servers are on a 172.18.1.x range. I have created a Lab, an application group and a surebackup job to just for now run a Domain controller with tests

When I run the Surebackup with the 2012 domain controller, it all goes correctly and the DC in the lab gets the same IP as the Dc in the production network. Ok
When I run the Surebackup with any 2008 domain controller, its get the ip address 172.18.0.1, which is NOT the Ip of the production IP DC. (should be 172.18.1.10)

So is this correct?, I thought the whole point of the Lab environment was to mirror what you have in production. ive tried every setting I can think of but still cant get it to work on the 2008 DCs. Ive used basic and advanced network settings.

I can post logs if needed but still not sure why this is doing it.

many Thanks

Mike

Ps. Running veeam 7.0.0.771
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Surebackup - Lab VM ips

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mike,

Yes, you are correct in your assumption that the virtual lab should mirror your production configuration/setup. Can you please tell me if you're using the same virtual lab for both 2012 and 2008 DC VMs? What is your virtual lab network configuration? BTW, what is type of the network adapter on your Windows 2008 VMs? Vmxnet3?

Thanks!
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

mdmd wrote:HI all,
When I run the Surebackup with any 2008 domain controller, its get the ip address 172.18.0.1, which is NOT the Ip of the production IP DC. (should be 172.18.1.10)
Could it be that you enabled DHCP on the isolated network adapter and that this adapter in the vm is getting DHCP?
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... gs_vm.html

Also did you apply the Windows 2008 R2 Patch described in the following article?
http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020078
Although we don't deploy a template we will suffer the same problem

Maybe a combination of both is making it so that the adapter is renamed thus correct ip settings are not applied. The adapter will go in DHCP mode and get an IP from the vlab router.
mdmd
Enthusiast

Post by mdmd »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Mike,

Yes, you are correct in your assumption that the virtual lab should mirror your production configuration/setup. Can you please tell me if you're using the same virtual lab for both 2012 and 2008 DC VMs? What is your virtual lab network configuration? BTW, what is type of the network adapter on your Windows 2008 VMs? Vmxnet3?

Thanks!
Hi Vitaliy,

yes we are using the same virtual lab for the 2012 and 2008 R2 Dcs.
All our VM network adapters are set to VMXnet3, we have a 10GB network throughout our 12 centres and would be hesitant to go back to e1000 (I presume that is a 1GB adapter) Config is below :

Lab name: BC-Admin-Lab
ESX name: bc-wy-vs-001
Datastore: bc_p4k_sas02_vmfs03

Appliance:
Name: BC-Admin-Lab
Pool name: BC-Admin-Lab
Folder name: BC-Admin-Lab

Production network name:admin_servers
IP: 172.18.1.175
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 172.18.1.254

DNS:
Preferred: 172.18.1.10
Alternate: 172.18.1.30

Network configuration type: advanced single-host

Network options:
Isolated network: BC-Admin-Lab admin_servers
Masquerade IP: 172.30.0.0
Appliance IP: 172.18.1.254
DHCP: disabled

Network mapping:
admin_servers --> BC-Admin-Lab admin_servers

tdewin wrote: Could it be that you enabled DHCP on the isolated network adapter and that this adapter in the vm is getting DHCP?
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... gs_vm.html

Also did you apply the Windows 2008 R2 Patch described in the following article?
http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020078
Although we don't deploy a template we will suffer the same problem

Maybe a combination of both is making it so that the adapter is renamed thus correct ip settings are not applied. The adapter will go in DHCP mode and get an IP from the vlab router.
Thanks for the reply!

DHCP is not enabled on the isolated network. (although it was at time of testing so probably the reason its getting that addresss yes!) Without it the VM gets no IP.

We haven't deployed the patch as it isn't on the Windows update list, it may also take a long time to do and check as we have about 70-80 2008 R2 VMs, including exchange servers, SQL servers, oracle server, most require close to 100% uptime. Microsoft also claimed the patch is 100% tested and I'm hesitant to put on our live servers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you don't want to apply this patch on the production VMs, then I would suggest using On-Demand Sandbox to test this patch on the latest VM backup. This should help us to isolate the issue, as virtual lab config looks fine to me.
soylent
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Max

Post by soylent »

Vitaliy S. wrote:If you don't want to apply this patch on the production VMs, then I would suggest using On-Demand Sandbox to test this patch on the latest VM backup. This should help us to isolate the issue, as virtual lab config looks fine to me.
The link to "On-Demand Sandbox" opens the V7 FAQ and I don't see anything about the sandbox. Does V7 still have this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here's the link to the old v5 FAQ containing this section (still applies). Cannot find the original topic for some reason...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

v7 FAQ has this section under Virtual Lab.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yep, here is the direct link: Virtual Lab.
mdmd
Enthusiast

Post by mdmd » 1 person likes this post

As an update to this, we bit the bullet so to speak and have patched probably 70% of our VM estate so far with 100% success.

The only problem we found is that once the patch is applied you need to re-config any static IPs on the VMs if set which in our case is all of them. Just a word of note for anyone undertaking this.

Thanks

Mike
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the update, Mike, much appreciated!
Oletho
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Post by Oletho »

I see the same problem with surebackup servers getting a new nic and losing ip configuration.

Problem is i need to run an Exchange 2007 restore and cannot patch the servers in the backup - how do I work around this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ole,

Either change the network adapter type or apply a patch. BTW, why not to apply the patch in the Sandbox lab and then try to run the Exchange AIR?

Thanks!
Oletho
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Post by Oletho »

Thanks Vitaly.

What I found to be the easiest workaround was removing ping test and role test scripts from the application group, and run the Exchange AIR.

As soon as the virtual lab was online I made the correct IP settings for the DC (which was the problem 2008 R2 server in the group) and restarted the exchange 2007 server.

For the networks to come up correct in the virtual lab I had to use the advanced single host config. And had to enable dhcp on the isolated net, otherwise the surebackup would fail with a "no IPv4 address" error on the 2008 R2 vm.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Very smart! ;) For some reason this has completely slipped my mind.
cvacanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Vacanti

Post by cvacanti »

Piggybacking on this post with a question...

I have a network for production vms of 192.168.3.x I do backups there and then do replication to another datacenter with ip range 192.168.100.x

I wanted to do a surebackup job down at the replication site to ensure my replicated vms come up correctly.

I set my vlab up as follows:
IP: 19.158.100.36
dns: 192.168.100.30

Networking is set to Advanced single-host manual configuration
vnic1 set to masquerade IP of 192.169.200.x and appliance IP of 192.168.100.1 (gateway of the replication range of 192.168.100.1)

Question is: will i be able to do a sure backup of VMs replicated down as 192.168.3.x in this VMlab configuration or does surebackup really only work in the backup environment with the IP range of 192.168.3.x
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Chris, sorry for the late reply. Currently SureReplica does not support re-IP, re-IP rules are applied during failover/failback only. So your virtual lab should reflect the production network address scheme and network mapping from 192.168.3.x to the masquerade network should be configured.
miha9966
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Proper way to test replicas - with reporting

Post by miha9966 »

Hi,

I am trying to set up a surereplica job to regularly start the check of 2 replicated machines with Veeam 8 on a DR site.
Our production site has different subnet (for instance 192.168.20.X) from DR site (192.168.30.X), so we are using Re-IP in replica jobs.
We have 2 active domain controllers: one on primary site, and other on DR site. So i have following questions:

1. Searching this forum, i found that surereplica in veeam doesn't apply Re-IP (i havent tested it yet on our replicas). So when our replicas start in virtual lab, they will start with original IPs (from subnet 192.168.20.X) rather than DR IPs (192.168.30.X)?
2. We have a live secondary DC in DR vSphere cluster. Is there any way to clone that DC and start it up in virtual lab during surereplica job, and before our replicas from that same job start?
3. Is there a way to change replica IPs during surereplica job (if Re-IP is not applied during surereplica job), and before ping test?
4. Is following achievable with combination of PowerCLI and Veeam powershell cmdlets and can i use both of them at the same time in windows powershell (i am no powershell/CLI wizard :-) ):
- create virtual lab and start it up
- clone secondary DC to virtual lab
- power up DC clone in virtual lab
- create (or start) surereplica job
- start VMs in surereplica job
- change replicas' IP to secondary network
- perform usual surereplica tests after IP change
- clean up after notyfing on job success via mail

Or maybe something simpler, to have the virtual lab set up on DR site all the time (not having the isolated switch destroyed after surereplica job finishes), and when i need to start the surereplica job, i just use allready set up virtual lab with manually cloned DC allready running inside the lab?

best regards,
Davor
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

As foggy's already stated, there is no Re-IP for SureBackup, please consider network masquerade+mapping approach.
Is there any way to clone that DC and start it up in virtual lab during surereplica job, and before our replicas from that same job start?
Yes. You need to include a replica of your secondary DC in your SureReplica application group and put all VMs to be tested in the linked jobs tab in the required order. You can create a replica from backup.
4. Is following achievable with combination of PowerCLI and Veeam powershell cmdlets and can i use both of them at the same time in windows powershell (i am no powershell/CLI wizard :-) ):
- create virtual lab and start it up
<...>
- clean up after notyfing on job success via mail
Yes, you can do that, however this
to have the virtual lab set up on DR site all the time (not having the isolated switch destroyed after surereplica job finishes), and when i need to start the surereplica job, i just use allready set up virtual lab with manually cloned DC allready running inside the lab?
sounds way simpler and easier, especially if you're "no powershell/CLI wizard " :-)

Thank you.
franky
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank Schmitz

[MERGED] SureBackup at DR Site

Post by franky »

Hi there,

i have some questions on setting up my virtual lab in our environment.

On primary site we have an network 172.18.121.0/24 running all production vms.
All VMs are replicated to the SR site and have been set up to re-ip to the prod. network 192.168.100.0/24 in dr site.
When failover to the dr site everything is fine an the vms are accessible also from primary site over vpn to the new ips.

Now we want to set up a vlab environment to do some tests with the replicas.
The B&R Server is running on primary site and replicate all necessary vms to dr site.

How should i configure the vlab proxy Appliance with all network settings.
We want to access VMs started from replicas on dr site from our production (primary site)
I set up a lab config on the dr site host with a proxy ip 192.168.100.163 on the prod net on dr site.
In the networking section i took the advanced single - host configuration
now i set up the network settings to following settings:
Proxy appliance ip to the gw IP from dr site (192.168.100.251) and a Masquerade network address of 192.168.101.x

When running a surereplica Job i am getting an error that no destination network for ip adress 172.18.121.x is set up.
But why is the surereplica job getting the source ip and not the re-ip on the dr site?

Is there any solution for running surebackups on dr site and accessing them from primary site?

Best regards,
Franky
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately Surereplica does not leverage reIP feature.

You topic has been merged with an existing one, please see foggy's answer.

Thank you.