Thanks for the info PTide. Regarding the actual snapshot issue, at this point we are not sure what was causing the issues. I opened a case up with support and they were unable to pinpoint the cause of the issue, only that it is happening. Case #01898120 if you're curious. Basically if Veeam tried to take a backup within 5-10 minutes of the snapshot updating then it would think there were no VMDKs attached to the VM and backup zero data. We verified on the storage end that things were fine and we could verify that the VM did in fact spin up and work fine if tested within 15 seconds after the snapshot update completed. Support had just said that the host itself was returning the VM with no VMDKs, so at that point my best guess was that there was some bug in VMware that didn't get the real data from the LUN if it was updated too close to the backup window. We moved things around and put the backup to start 2 hours after the snapshot updates and so far haven't seen the issue return. I'm at least sure it's not a Veeam issue
That being said, the problem that I'm trying to fix is that the backup job itself completed successfully with no errors. The only way someone caught it was to see that the job log showed zero data being written. So I'm hoping to at least use SureBackup to verify in case we ever run into a scenario similar to what happened before.
Also, regarding the original topic, one of the things I'm struggling with is how to get job information ported from Veeam into the script. Is there a list of other arguments that can be passed other than the two listed (%vm_ip% and %vm_fqdn%). I'm using VBScript and can't figure out how to get the date of the restore point that is being tested with SureBackup.