Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

SureBackup with multiple DCs

Post by michaelryancook »

Hello and TIA. I tried searching as I am sure I have seen this covered before but I was unable to find an answer to my question. Currently I have two DCs that are protected by Veeam using a VSS enabled job. The FSMO roles are split between these two DCs. I thought there was a warning on not having mulitple DCs in a SureBackup job due to the authoratative restore process. Based on that I only have one DC in the SureBackup job we use for developers to test application restorability. This job leaves the app group running so they can do some non-scriptable testing. The issue is that since some of the FSMO roles are on the other DC I have to seize those roles in order to create a test account within AD. The reason we need to make an account is that all of our developers are in a separate domain, not controlled by us, and the trust of course does not work in the virtual lab. We don't want to create an account in the live AD as all of our user management occurs in the trusted domain.

Am I off base on my understanding that we shouldn't have multiple DCs in a surebackup job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup with multiple DCs

Post by foggy »

Michael, you can actually have both DCs in SureBackup job, just do not select the DC and GC roles for the one that is started second.
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Re: SureBackup with multiple DCs

Post by michaelryancook »

Thanks Alexander. I will modify my SureBackup job accordingly.