Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
localhost
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: 127.0.0.1

SureReplica. Someone tested it?

Post by localhost »

Hi,

i cannot seem to find any "real life" experiences of someone that tested this out.

On paper seems pretty cool, but i grew up not believing tests performed in super controlled environment with 1 or 2 Vms with 20GB of disks in it and no services (i.e. Exchange).

I also find the wording "file over plan" misleading, many of our customers think that THAT is the way you test it out, without realizing that the source VM gets powered off.

The way to test it (other than the ugly manual way) is to use SureReplica (maybe change the name in the future like Failover Tests?). I have read everything i could find, but no real life experience. Did you test it? did it work?

cheers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: SureReplica. Someone tested it?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, sure - why would not it work? It's just about running your replica VM in the isolated network. Also, searching this forum for SureReplica returns 10 pages worth of results, which is a lot of real life experience ;) check it out.
localhost
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: 127.0.0.1

Post by localhost »

thanks. Is that correct to say that in order to set up the surereplica, you need to set up the virtual lab. The virtual lab can be linked to a single host, so what if that host does not have enough power (RAM etc) to run all the replicated Vms? Can i point to a cluster instead?
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Post by Cragdoo » 3 people like this post

I've tested it, and used it in real life. The only 'difficult' part, if you can call it difficult , is getting your head around the networking. Once you figure it out (hint when the job mentions "production" network , it is referring to the "production" network at your DR site) , it's a breeze and a really useful tool. I showed a demo to prospective customer, who was blown away by it. At the end of the demo he said "yip, that's what we want, why haven't we seen this before ??!"

as the tag line goes ...it just works
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

localhost wrote:Is that correct to say that in order to set up the surereplica, you need to set up the virtual lab.
Correct.
localhost wrote:The virtual lab can be linked to a single host, so what if that host does not have enough power (RAM etc) to run all the replicated Vms? Can i point to a cluster instead?
You can create a multi-host virtual lab. In this case, replica VMs will be started on the hosts they are replicated to.