Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Synology plug-in

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys.

Was wondering if there were any plans to get a Veeam app added to the Synology Packages database?

Would be handy to have that integration to be able to do basic tasks with backup files which are sitting on a Synology NAS.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Synology plug-in

Post by nielsengelen »

Hi, there are currently no plans for a specific app for Synology.

What would be different from your point of view compared to a schedule in VBR? Are there specific retention settings missing in your setup?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Something I'm trying to do at the moment made me think of this.

1. We have an old backup file on one of our Synology boxes which is over 30TB in size.
2. Trying to do anything with this file from the Windows server where our VBR is installed causes big delays. About 45 minutes to browse it.
3. After the delays we get timeouts and the restore I'm trying to do fails.
4. From the 30TB file I just want about 3TB from it.
5. Thought it'd be far more elegant if I could open this file on the Synology, pluck out the 3TB required, job done.

I believe Synologys are pretty popular as a lower-class storage option. It just so happens in my case that we lost the backups from the primary storage and the live data is corrupted so all we have is our copy of last resort on an older Synology box.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Veeam recommends against using low-end NAS as backup targets, as most of the backup data loss/corruption issues we see in support are related to the usage of such storage. I certainly don't see us integrating with something we don't recommend using.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

The latest Synology boxes use Synology branded drives. Not sure what they are under the skin but I believe this is a step towards better reliability.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

I highly doubt hard drives are even remotely a problem. I always suspected the lack of enterprise-grade hardware-based RAID controller to be the primary root cause based on the type of data losses, plus some recent issues we saw hint at potential bugs in software stack (protocols implementation) or networking stack (hardware or firmware)... so in something before the data even reaches the storage layer, as it's simply hard to imagine any storage at all to work THIS unreliably.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

I think we have aprox 2PB of Synology storage at hand. Maybe 1.5... I dunno off the top of my head. We don't really have anything else of that capacity level we could compare it with to say whether or not it is especially unreliable. Our ReFS direct attached storage is only around 400tb and could be just as unreliable (or reliable) but we don't have as much of it to be able to compare like-for-like. We don't use the Synologies much for backup data but we do have some on it.
aaaal
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Al Al

Post by aaaal »

@ejenner We use the FS series SSD based (and some older models as well) and never had any issues with Synology. @gostev's first answer just seems pompous and haughty. Veeam is a business, and it would do well integrating with middle market devices/brands that do have high reliability and visibility by the popularity of their usage in IT applications. Synology has low end to some high end products that are competitive to the big players (which probly use similar vendors and jack up the prices). Veeam is a great product and the more it can itegrate with brands such a Synology,it will not only expand their marketshare but also attract many new customers. Hope their directors and engineers change their minds. They're missing out.