Our environment is vSphere (with a mix of Windows 2008, 2012, and 2016). A B&R physical box with dedicated attached storage. Also a Cloud Connect server in Azure.
- We run a nightly backup of all the vSphere to the B&R server. We are configured for 21 restore points, weekly synthetic fulls on Saturdays, and backup file health check on Fridays.
- We run a daily backup copy job to Cloud Connect in Azure. The source for this copy job is the existing backups. 7 restore points are configured, with GFS (4 weekly, 3 monthly, 4 quarterly, and 2 yearly). We also have backup files health check set to run weekly on Fridays.
I have a few questions since we are somewhat new to Veeam.
- Since we run synthetic fulls on Saturdays with a backup file health check on Fridays, do I still need to create active fulls periodically? If so why and how often? If not why?
- When the backup copy job is run, how does it create a full backup file? Does it send the full over the WAN, or does it get synthetically created on the CC server?
- Also, where is the backup file health check performed for the backup copy. Is it performed on the B&R locally, or the CC server in Azure?
Is my configuration sound or do you recommend any changes?