Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rdc373
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: RDC

System Backups and Veeam?

Post by rdc373 »

Should I be running M.S. System Backups with Veeam Replications and Backups?

My biggest concern is: sometimes Windows Repair Wizard will want to be pointed to windows backups for system recovery (bad update, etc...). And I don't want to find too late - that a Veeam backup will not work.

Has anyone had experience with the particular issue?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: System Backups and Veeam?

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I`d not use system backup along with Veeam B&R, since VBR is faster and more efficient. You can set backup jobs notification, so you always no if backup was made successfully or not.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Do you refer to running system backups on the Veeam backup server?
rdc373
Influencer

Post by rdc373 »

No, sorry for not being more specific - a server being replicated and backed up by Veeam.

If I ever need to use System Recovery - will Veeam backups work? The System Recovery Wizard will ask for a backup location. Will Veeam backups work in this scenario? Point them to a backup repository?

Case Scenario:
File Severer gets updates and cannot boot after updates (for whatever reason). No Veeam backup or replication has been performed for 4 hours. I have four hours of files on a system that will not boot into Windows. I boot the sever, hit "F8" - to perform a system recovery. I fail-over until I get the primary online (we still have 4 hours worth of data to account for) - so I cannot simply recover from a snapshot. I need to repair the system.

System Recovery asks for a backup to recover system files. System Recovery will look at the backup and try to fix the issue (and usually does a decent job). Will it work with Veeam backups instead of MS System Backups?

Anyone had this scenario?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

Ideally your data and operating system are on different disks, in which case you could restore the OS disk only and not the data disk.
rdc373
Influencer

Post by rdc373 »

Good thing I'm ideal - and that hols true. But being ideal I'd just like to boot from my desktop, hit F8, got get a cup of coffee and have system restore completed.

I will probably though out the System Backups and see sometime. Veeam is much more robust. However I'd really like to STILL know if Veeam can support this????? So if does I can use it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam backup performs image level backups, so you will be able to recover a VM (your server) if it failed for some reason. If you want to protect system partition only, then why not backup this volume/disk only?

On a side note, since this is file server, then data doesn't change that often, right? If there is a need you can back it up more often, only changes will be transferred.

As regards the updates scenario, then it seems like a perfect use case for On-Demand sandbox and SureBackup jobs.