Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danibett
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniele Bettella

Target WAN accelerator bottleneck also after adding SSD

Post by danibett »

Hi All,
I've a Veeam B&R 8.0.0.2030 installation on Hyper-v.
I've configured different replication jobs between 2 sites with a total size of about 3 TB.
On the first implementation i've configured the target WAN global cache on SAS drives and the bottleneck, as expected, was the target WAN.
Yesterday finally my new SSD has arrived, a Seagate ST200FM0073 200GB, i've moved the WAN cache folder on the new disk and ran a test.

The performance are exactly the same, no improvement on replication's speed and, very strange IMHO, the bottleneck is still the WAN target.
Looking on the target WAN server there are no performance issue on SSD, CPU or RAM.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kind regards
Daniele Bettella
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Target WAN accelerator bottleneck also after adding SSD

Post by PTide »

Hi Daniele,

Have you checked disk usage on target repo during job execution? TargetWAN may produce lots of read requests to your repository...

Thank you.
danibett
Novice

Post by danibett »

Hi PTide,

I've checked the target repository and it's quite unused! There is nothing running on this storage, it's just for the replica.
The repository is a 8 disks RAID6 on a PERC 8 controller (DELL VRTX),with 1GB cache.
I think that if I have some issue with the repository I see something on the target bottleneck value.

I'm running right now the Exchange replication job: source 23%, source WAN 70%, network 1%, target WAN 99%, target 9%.

Many thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

So, if during your job your target WAN is reporting that all hardware (i.e. disks, RAM, network, CPU) is not fully utilized, and no siginficant activity is happening on your target repo (I mean I/O), then I suggest you to open a case with technical support, because what we see here is a little bit weird - there have to be something what slows down the whole process.

Thank you.
danibett
Novice

Post by danibett »

Thanks Pavel,

I'll try to open a case then.
Yes, it's very weird also for me!

Thanks again.
obroni
Service Provider
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nick Fisk

Post by obroni » 1 person likes this post

Don't know if you got anywhere with support, but have been having the same issue. As has been mentioned, when using the WAN Accelerator, it will read from the Target every time there is a cache miss, but these reads will still show up against the TargetWAN Bottleneck not the Target. If you get a lot of cache misses then you will probably find that the Wan accelerator will always be the bottleneck on lines above about 20Mb/s (assuming Target is 7.2k disks).

I found increasing my Globalcache from 70gb to 300gb helped reduce the amount of cache misses, TargetWAN is still the bottleneck but the usages on all the other stats increased.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

@Danielle, do you have any results? Could you provide your support case number for us to check for updates?
obroni wrote:I found increasing my Globalcache from 70gb to 300gb helped reduce the amount of cache misses, TargetWAN is still the bottleneck but the usages on all the other stats increased.
@Nick, has the processing rate also increased? Thanks!
obroni
Service Provider
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nick Fisk

Post by obroni »

Its hard to tell, but on average I would say yes it has as job times have reduced. When it experiences a lot of cache misses, speed is the same. When there are a lot of cache hits, I see speeds up to 300Mb/s. I think the extra cache has just increased the chance of their being a cache hit.