Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gwilmington
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Testing Backups and Deduplication

Post by gwilmington »

I'm currently running some testing with the NetApp ONTAP simulator, Veeam, vCenter and ESXi 5 U1 all running on my laptop in VMware workstation. The ONTAP simulator is presenting an iSCSI LUN of 50GB to the ESXi host and a 75GB LUN directly through the MS iSCSI initiator to the Veeam backup server running in workstation as well. The only machines running in the virtualized ESXi host are the VM's I'm trying to backup. Everything else, vCenter and Veeam server, are running as VM's within Workstation.

VMware workstation VMs
ESXi5_1 - running nested VMs
vCenter_1
ONTAP_1
Veeam_1

Nested ESXi 5 VMs
win2k81
win2k82
win2k83

What I've done is create one Windows 2008 R2 VM from scratch and then using NetApp Rapid Clone, clone it twice to create two new VMs. I created a backup job for the first two machines, and another for the third. When I run the backup job for the first two, I get normal backup sizes (~7GB) and deduplication like I would expect. However, when I run the job for the third machine, I get a very small size, ~250MBs of backup. Now this is a full backup, yet it only yields that small amount. I broke out the backup jobs to only backup one VM at a time, and I get two fulls (~7GB) from the first two machines exactly like they should be, and again a small ~250MB sized full for the third. Each time I create a new job for the third VM, I verify the size is correct (~9GB). I'm stumped what the issue would be.
gwilmington
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Testing Backups and Deduplication

Post by gwilmington »

Well, I performed the same functions with a competing backup product and was met with the same results. Nevermind then :)