Testing Veeam B&R v8 and I want to archive data to Amazon s3

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Testing Veeam B&R v8 and I want to archive data to Amazo

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sat May 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Actually, you can ship compressed and deduplicated VB&R backups to amazon S3 storage. However, in order to achieve that Amazon Storage Gateway will be required, as well as, tape jobs pointed to it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 971 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] : Backup Copy Job questions/queries/worries

Veeam Logoby AtechAddam » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:10 am

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a bit of a n00b question.

I have a customer that wishes to have their daily backup copied off to Amazon S3.

We have the backup set up going to network storage and then I have created a backup copy job to copy this over to S3.

This appears to be working, however it is a continuous job. I have set the schedule so that it doesn't interfere with any of their other backups, however once the job pauses, it does not restart.

I have had to cancel the job and start it again so that it runs at the next interval.

Other than this, it runs continuously and even though I've set a schedule, it doesn't appear to be running to this schedule.

I'd prefer it to copy this backup over to S3, finish the job and then the next morning at 1am for it to start again.

I'm wondering if this is by design, or if I am doing something wrong?

Is a backup copy job the best way to do this, or would a normal backup be better?

Thanks,

Addam
AtechAddam
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Addam Reynolds

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:47 am

Hi, Addam,

Your post has been merged into existing discussion, so, see the answers provided above for more information about backup to Amazon S3.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : VEEAM to Amazon Glacier

Veeam Logoby tym » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:19 am

Hi

I just wanted to start moving from tape to cloud backup and what did I find? VEEAM cancelled support for Amazon Glacier in that they discontinued the cloud edition. Very sad and a huge drawback. Do I have to use the amazon gateway now? I dont want to use another backup software like CloudBerry Backup for this.
tym
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:32 am

Yep, you need to leverage Amazon Storage Gateway in order to get tape-like experience with Amazon Glacier or Amazon S3 storage.

Alternatively, you can use Service Provider lookup, find an SP meeting your requirements and just point your backup and/or backup copy jobs to the cloud repositories provided by them. This will provide much better performance for backups and more importantly for restores (enabling restores directly from the cloud), plus greater manageability due to being fully integrated.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Re: [MERGED] : VEEAM to Amazon Glacier

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:50 pm

tym wrote:I just wanted to start moving from tape to cloud backup and what did I find? VEEAM cancelled support for Amazon Glacier in that they discontinued the cloud edition. Very sad and a huge drawback.

So, your first sentence is the most important. Thing is, most users are unwilling to move from tape to cloud until they can backup and restore their data to/from the cloud faster than using tape. As you correctly noted, we did try Amazon-based solution, but most of our users found backup and restore performance to be unacceptable (at least for image-based backups), which is exactly why this functionality was discontinued and replaced with Cloud Connect (which provides at least by an order of magnitude faster backup and restore performance, making it a real alternative to tape).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

[MERGED] : Cloud backup using Amazon Gateway

Veeam Logoby Meyercord » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:38 pm

Is anyone writing backups to cloud storage without the Cloud Connect product? I need a reliable way to get my data offsite into inexpensive long-term cloud storage like S3 or Glacier, but I want to do it directly without relying on a third-party partner.

I've tested backing up to virtual tape using Amazon's VTL solution, but because Veeam requires writing the entire backup set to disk before performing a restore, recovering even a single file or VM would require downloading 4-6TB of data, making it prohibitively expensive and creating a significant delay.

One potential solution I can think of is to host a repository on Amazon Storage Gateway Cached Volume (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegatew ... cepts.html), but I have a number of concerns and I was hoping someone here had either looked into this as well or even implemented it in some form and could comment on their experience:

1) How would you deal with maintaining restore points over the long-term (5-7 years)? Would you continually write them to a single massive volume, or create smaller volumes and swap them out as they fill up? Does it make sense to take Amazon EBS snapshots at intervals and then delete the older Veeam recovery points after they had been snapshot?

2) Are snapshots even practical? The cost to store snapshot data is >3 times the S3 storage cost ($0.095/GB vs $0.030/GB)

3) Is there any way to move the data from S3 to Glacier to reduce cost ($0.010/GB vs $0.030/GB)? I don't see anything in the documentation indicating that it's possible to move Gateway data to Glacier.

4) In the situations above, if I roll off older restore points by swapping out volumes, or snapshotting, or moving them to Glacier, how does Veeam deal with the disappearance of these recovery points? How can I find them in my inventory years from now when I need to restore a file or VM from a specific date or based on other criteria? Do I have to keep everything online all the time just so Veeam doesn't lose track of it? Is there any way to tell Veeam that the data has been archived, and then locate that archived data years later?

5) For performing restores would it be beneficial to build a Veeam proxy server in Amazon EC2 that would have faster access to the data in S3? If I did this, could would it be possible to restore a VMWare guest directly to EC2? Is this a practical way to restore files or VMs, either to an EC2 instance or back to my local LAN?

Am I overthinking this? Is is better to just use Cloud Connect or the Amazon Virtual Tape Library? If you've used either of these, Id like to hear about your experience
Meyercord
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: AJ Meyercord

Veeam Logoby mongie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:09 pm 1 person likes this post

I believe in V9 there is a mount server which would allow your point 5 to be valid.

To speed restores in V8, I think you could do this with a full veeam server, and manual imports to the database.
mongie
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

[MERGED} Veeam to QNAP to Amazon S3

Veeam Logoby Tailwind » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice:

I am using B&R to backup 20 HyperV VMs to a QNAP backup device. Currently have no offsite solution though, so I am trying to get something in place ASAP!
Now, QNAP has the ability to upload to Amazon S3 cloud storage, I am trying to look for the best Veeam backup method to use with the intention of uploading the backups to Amazon S3 cloud storage, whilst also keeping the cost as low as possible. Suggestions anyone?
Tailwind
Lurker

Full Name: Tailwind Support

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:28 am

Please review this thread for suggestions and feel free to ask for any further clarification, if required.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Can I configure AWS as Service Provider

Veeam Logoby SisTecno » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi,

We are configuring the Veeam Backup & Replication v8 and we want to use the AWS as a Service Provider to make the Cloud Backups, is it posible.
Can you explain me how to configure.

Thanks
SisTecno
Lurker

Full Name: Sistemas Tecnocasa

Re: Can I configure AWS as Service Provider

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:32 pm

What kind of storage are you planning to use in combination with that VM? EBS, S3, Glacier, etc.?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Re: Can I configure AWS as Service Provider

Veeam Logoby SisTecno » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:03 pm

I want to use S3 for the newers backup and want to move to Glacier the olders. I want to do so making a Budget and in the options make a lifetime to move to glacier older than 3 months
SisTecno
Lurker

Full Name: Sistemas Tecnocasa

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 pm

In this case, you would need Amazon Storage Gateway. More information regarding the applicable scenario, as well as, drawbacks it contains can be found on the first page of this discussion; kindly, take a look. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby 113 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello,

Has anyone tried restoring Data from AWS using veeam vtl?

Thanks
Lurker

Full Name: jd

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication