Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Testing Veeam B&R v8 and I want to archive data to Amazo

Post by veremin »

Hi, Brent,

Welcome to the Veeam Community Forums.

Your post has been merged into existing discussion talking about similar matter, so kindly check the answers provided above.

Thanks.
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you can store Veeam backups in AWS using StorageGateway. Either for standard backups/backup copies, or you can use the VTL Storage Gateway with the Veeam tape functionality.

Note that performance is lower than with the Veeam designed cloud solution (partner based) due to the lack of any veeam processing in the cloud. You need to bring a backup file back to your Veeam server before you can extract data from it.
STLJames
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Long

[MERGED] : Backup from NAS to Amazon (AWS)

Post by STLJames »

Hi all,

Version: Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 (Standard)

We have successful backups running to an on-site NAS, and now would like to have these copied off-site up to our account on AWS.
What is best practice to do this please? Any instructions on how to set this up would be most welcome.

Should it be of importance, we are running our internal environment through vSphere and have limited space left on our SAN.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks,
James
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, James,

Amazon Storage Gateway configured as VTL is the recommended approach.

Just out of curiosity - haven't you considered finding Cloud Connect Service Provider of your choice and using the provided cloud repository as a target for secondary jobs?

Thanks.
STLJames
Novice
Full Name: James Long

Post by STLJames »

Hi,

To be honest I am still looking at all possibilities of an off-site cloud backup solution. I was not aware of this Cloud Connect service.
I'll do some reading up, but could you summarise the pros and cons of going for this over Amazon please?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Kindly, check two answers provided by Anton Gostev on the first page of this topic. They contain information you're looking for. Thanks.
moka
Novice
Full Name: Louis Allen

[MERGED] Backing up to AWS S3 or Glacier

Post by moka »

How do I offload weekly full backups to AWS S3 or Glacier from Veeam? There used to be a product called Cloud Edition which from memory would do exactly what I want. I currently have Veeam Backup Essentials (v9 update 2), but as far as I can tell my only option is to subscribe to the AWS Storage Gateway which would cost $125 a month (which is too much and out of the question).

I have seen two products, Cloudberry Drive Server ($60) and FastGlacier (free). I really don't want to bolt applications and scripts together if I can help it, why can't this functionality just be built into Veeam?

Can someone please advise which route I should take? Is it possible to downgrade to the older Cloud Edition for example (i hope so!)???
DRUMDUDESAN
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff

[MERGED] Amazon as a Storage Source?

Post by DRUMDUDESAN »

Hi,
I am wondering if there is anyone using Amazon for storage and what their experience is and how you use it to date. Also please include if you think it is economical.
- Archive
- DR
- Site Recovery

Thanks
Jeff
https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats- ... cation-v9/
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what particular Amazon storage you're planning to use. Glacier, S3, disks attached to virtual instance, etc.? The options might vary, depending on your answer. Thanks.
DRUMDUDESAN
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff

Post by DRUMDUDESAN »

More specifics after reviewing what AWS has to offer. As this is an investigation for me, I am looking for Veeam peer experience.
Hi,
I am wondering if there is anyone using Amazon for storage and what their experience is and how you use it to date. Also please include if you think it is economical.
- Archive: Looks like this would be Glacier for VMs we may need to keep for years and little retrieval access.
- DR: My guess it would have to be S3 for performance and scalability.
- Site Recovery: I am not sure if we could even utilize it as a SR location. It is not clear that I can bring up the resources within AWS using VMware to date. It looks like I would definitely need a 3rd party for this like Veeam.
- Other: Using a AWS Instance via Elastic Block Store (EBS) as a Veeam Storage Repository and Proxy.

Thanks
Jeff
https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats- ... cation-v9/
Gallus23
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Howard

[MERGED] AWS VTL vs Cloud Connect Partner

Post by Gallus23 »

Guys,

I'm looking into complementing our existing on-prem backup repositories with some cloud backed repos for longer-term backup and archive.
I was wondering if anyone could comment on backing up to AWS S3/Glacier vs using a cloud connect partner.

I'm potentially looking at about 10-20Tbs of data, I do not imagine that this will be accessed that frequently

In terms of complexity and cost is there a favored approach, or are the cases just different.

Would be interested in your thoughts...

MIke.