The need for Active Full backups

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: The need for Active Full backups

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Damn - We're doing the opposite of that. We have a 30 restore point Forever Incremental strategy on Primary Fast Storage, and 7 restore points + 4x Weekly & 24x Monthly GFS on a Data Domain.

I would recommend 7-14 restore points on the source site and 30 restore points + 24x Monthly GFS on a Data Domain.
Does that mean, if I have Backup Copy's from the primary storage to the Data Domain - and the Data Domain organizes the Restore Points into GFS backups - I can switch off Health Checks on the Data Domain Backup Copys?

Health check and Surebackup are different things. Health check is a part of backup copy job and going to help with data integrity.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:53 pm

I once had a corruption on primary, just one VM in the job had errors, the rest were fine and the only way I find it was a restore test (or surebackup ) or to run the cmd " Veeam.Backup.Validator" against the job. The Copy Job didn't spot this corruption and happily copied it offsite.

For your reassurance, the VBK didn't just go `bad` for no reason, we had a dead HDD in the RAID6 causing the whole server to stop and need a restart to fix, the VBK corruption happened after that event. We now run a Veeam.Backup.Validator task on all jobs when a HDD dies as a precaution, but it can sometimes take a week to check everything. :roll:
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:56 pm

I was hoping for a different answer :|
Have a VM that's takes 13 days for a Health Check on a Data Domain. Desperately trying to find a way round it - 'cos that's half the month's backup copies lost.

Just wondered whether the combination of checking during the backup copy, and merging into full GFS backups would negate the Health Check requirement.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:04 pm

This is my biggest worry. I have to tell the business we are 95% sure the backups are good, but there's not enough time to check if they are all good.

To increase the 95%, I'm trying to convince them to invest in a 2016 S2D ReFS cluster with self healing, but even that cant be 100% error resistant.
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Sounds good. With a lot of space consolidation and temporary backup repo migration, I think I can migrate to 2016 - but it still leaves us in the same situation with the Data Domain.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:20 pm

I wonder if ReFS 3.1 also improves the Veeam.Backup.Validator or Health Check performance, maybe there will be enough time in the day to check everything?
lando_uk
Expert

Veeam Logoby mkretzer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Is Health Check even necessarry with integrity streams?
mkretzer
Expert

Liked: 67 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Only on simple ReFS volumes (for its backup healing functionality).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:47 pm

As far as I know you can enable mirror and parity modes also on single windows 2016 servers, without storage spaced direct.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby pirx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:57 am

Shestakov wrote:Hi pirx,
please read the thread for the explanation of full backups vs. surebackup best practices.
I would emphasize that it`s recommended to keep a short chain on the primary repository for faster restores and longer chain on the secondary repository for restores of historical data.
Thanks!

But what would be the "best" way to archive the goal to have each backup (at least 10 weekly) 2 times for 10 weeks, one on NetApp A, the other on NetApp B? If we have a primary chain with 14 restore points on NetApp A and a BJC with 10 weeklies on NetApp B, we miss this goal. Do we need a second BJC that also performs a copy of the primary backup job to the same NetApp A? This sounds not very backup space friendly.
pirx
Enthusiast

Liked: 7 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:52 am

If you want 10 weekly backups on both primary and secondary repository, the best way indeed is 2 backup copy jobs. I would still set 7-14 restore points on the source backup job and 2 simple + 10 weekly GFS on the backup copy job pointing to the primary storage. Note that you need to create a separate folder on the primary repository and add it as another repo since it`s prohibited for backup copy job to set same repository as source and target.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication