Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: The RPC server is unavailable

Post by foggy »

Thanks for sharing, Lars! Much appreciated.
chjones
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Chris Jones

Post by chjones »

I just had the same VSS errors. We have 12 backup jobs (about 150 VMs) and a handful of replication jobs. The jobs have been running fine, but last night almost every single VM that runs Windows (2003, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2) all reported the same RPC error. We are running Version 7.0 R2 Patch 3.

Unable to truncate transaction logs. Details: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

I checked a handful of servers and sure enough the VeeamVssSupport service was installed and running. I exported a list of all servers in our environment and used psexec to stop the service and then delete it. I retried a few of the jobs and all VMs succeeded.

I found 3 VMs that completed successfully when all others failed. I checked those 3 and found the VeeamVssSupport service was not installed. This does fit with the issues people have experienced in the preceeding posts.

I'll monitor closely the next few days to see if the issue persists. Strange that it just came out of nowhere and affected almost every VM at the same time.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chris,

Do you have backup job logs still available for the run that happened before this RPC failure? I just wonder if there were any network glitches/other common issues that could affect all VMs in the job...

Thanks!
asctech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Don McEachern

Post by asctech »

I had an issue on a Veeam Endpoint Backup failing to backup to a local drive rather than a repository,
and have been pulling my hair out trying to find a resolution.
Was getting "The RPC Server is unavailable RPC function call failed. GetSvcVersion ..."
Anyhow, I stopped the service, added this registry entry as you suggested (and KB1671)
and started the service and it worked. Thanks for the post, never found this at Veeam' s website
due to it being endpoint backup and a brand new version of it. The older version from a few months back worked fine.
Hope it helps others with similar problems. Could not figure out why RPC would fail on a local backup!
◦HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
◦DWORD: InverseVssProtocolOrder
◦Value = 1
◦To disable (default behavior), value is 0 (false)

Cheers!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

This setting is specific to Veeam Backup & Replication guest processing logic.
Veeam Endpoint Backup does not query or use this setting.

What likely helped in your case is actual service restart.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Don,

Similar issue was previously resolved by updating/reinstalling Veeam Transport component. The described key indeed should not not affect the VEB solution somehow.