Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Doug99
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Bacon

throughput in veeam 6 backups

Post by Doug99 »

I am new to Veeam and installed and configured veeam 6 on my network. I am backing up vmware 4.1 virtual machines that are in the same subnet with the proxy server and NAS. When I test throughput between the proxy server and the NAS I get 56 mb/s, but when I perform a backup of a server using Veeam the throughput is only 3 mb/s. I have been working with a Veeam engineer and he suggested setting all the "automatic" setting to specific settings (which I did), but to no improvement. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and might know of some things I could try to overcome this slow issue.

Thanks,

Doug99
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: throughput in veeam 6 backups

Post by foggy »

Doug, what are the bottleneck statistics numbers for this job (available when you right-click the job and click Realtime Statistics)?
Doug99
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Bacon

Post by Doug99 »

The bottleneck is saying proxy. I came to the conclusion that it might be the proxy server, so I added another processor and increased memory from 4g to 8g. I am now seeing 15 mb/s which is a good improvment. But is this going to be about the best I should expect?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Again, depends on the bottleneck stats for the job running with the new proxy configuration.. If proxy again is a bottleneck, you could split your job and involve another proxy to spread the load.
murdocmk
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by murdocmk »

Also keep in mind that job performance can depend heavily on the type of backup job configured. See this link for an example of how a reverse incremental job can result in a lot of random IO to your backup target:

http://www.vuemuer.it/en/?p=3147

I've found that a RAID-5 NAS can exhibit pretty poor performance for reverse incremental jobs. Running incrementals with synthetic fulls resulted in much better throughput in that situation, although in some cases (due to space constraints) you may have to choose to transform previous fulls into VRB files and that process will run for a very long time due to the same reason. In my situation I found it better to improve nightly backup job speed and allow a longer job to run over the weekend to perform the transform. If I had the space I probably wouldn't run the transform.

In my case the bottleneck stats clearly indicated the target was the bottleneck.

Hope that helps some,
Mark
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hey, that is my blog :)
Thanks for sharing the link, I'm finishing a full whitepaper about the backup methods you can choose in Veeam Backup, and how each of them can impact your backup storage. It almost ready, will be out in a couple of weeks. Any feedback will be really appreciated.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1