Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Backup_Guy
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin Markle

To Quiesce or not to Quiesce

Post by Backup_Guy »

Hello,
I have been a NetBackup customer for quite some time and we are getting ready to move over to Veeam (P.O. done). We have always used the quiesce option unless the server was to busy and couldn't do it. In a backup policy there is a option for this (Edit policy | Storage | Advanced | vSphere). One person from Veeam which I talked to said that they don't use this option unless it's a file server. I'm trying to get a sense about how it is being done by people using the product...

Kevin M

Thanks for looking...
Thanks for looking!

Kevin
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: To Quiesce or not to Quiesce

Post by PetrM » 2 people like this post

Hi Kevin,

I'd recommend to use application-aware image processing if you run your file server on Windows.
Both AAIP and VMware tools quiescence trigger VSS snapshots however AAIP deploys the runtime process directly in the guest VM instead of leveraging VMware tools.

You should enable VMware tools quiescence for the VMs which can not be processed with application-aware image processing. For example, VMs that do no support Microsoft VSS.

Thanks!
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: To Quiesce or not to Quiesce

Post by nitramd »

Kevin,

Be aware that VMware Tools quiescence can cause issues with backups. With this said, this may be better than nothing.