Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JoStick

Topology/Infrastructure recommendations

Post by JoStick »

We are currently using Backup and Replication for a single VMware host. Backup (complete VMs) is to a second array on the SAN and backup copy to a NAS device in a different building. This setup works to a point, but obviously there is no off-site backup and I have no idea how to run from a backup for purposes of disaster recovery (e.g. loss of host and SAN), hence this post. We are now licensed to Essentials Enterprise Plus to enable recovery of Exchange objects and this gives us WAN acceleration functionality.

Ideally I would like to at least backup off-site but ideally would prefer to replicate to a server that I could then use for disaster recovery, or could I just use something like a Drobo iSCSi array? What are others doing?

Any recommendation or pointers to useful information appreciated.

Thanks,
Jo
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Topology/Infrastructure recommendations

Post by veremin »

Hi, Mark, if you're after creating backup restore points in the offline location, then, the best option will be to put into use additional backup copy job.

Since you're on Enterprise Plus license, it stands to reason to use WAN Accelerator in order to reduce significantly data traffic sent through the WAN link. But it depends mostly on type of connection you have to offline location. It's recommended to utilize WAN Accelerators in case of limited bandwidth (100mb or less).

Thanks.
JoStick

Post by JoStick »

For the off site backup repository, should I use an old PC or something like Drobo?

If I wanted to replicate offsite, would I use a server running VMware?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

For the off site backup repository, should I use an old PC or something like Drobo?
It can be either an old PC equipped with bunch of locally attached drives or devices such as Drobo. In case of remote NAS, be aware to specify proxying server closer to it for better performance. Also, this blog post should give you some hints regarding best backup infrastructure.
If I wanted to replicate offsite, would I use a server running VMware?
Are you talking here about replicating backup files (backup copy job) or production VMs? If you want to replicate production VMs to the different location, then, yes, you have to have a "target" host to which VMs will be replicated.

Otherwise, there is no need to do it, as target repository role can be assigned to any Windows-based machine.

Thanks.
JoStick

Post by JoStick »

A good link to blog post. Thanks.

I would like to replicate production VMs. Would I require a Veeam license for the target host?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

No, as Veeam backup license is only concerned with the “source” host. In other words, the host you're going to replicate VMs to doesn't have to be covered by Veeam license.

Thanks.