Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
silus
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon

Transforming incremental jobs to rollups

Post by silus »

Hi,
We have a very large backup job which uses incremental/synth fulls.

We are running out of space, so are looking to enable the transform into rollup option. Having set this and running the backup job it does not seem to transform the jobs and reduce the space?

What is the correct way to do this for a job with existing restore points?

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Transforming incremental jobs to rollups

Post by foggy »

Simon, transform operation is performed right after the synthetic full is created. Have you run this job on the day when synthetic full is scheduled?
silus
Influencer

Post by silus »

Unfortunately not, enabled the option today and the synth full was created at the weekend. Unfortunately we do not have enough space for another full to be created either?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then you need to clean up some space for another full. What are your scheduling and retention settings and how many fulls do you have on the disk already? You could probably temporarily move the oldest part of the chain (VBK + dependent VIB files) from the backup storage to some other location to free up space while keeping all the required restore points. Note that transform does not touch previous full backups, so even after being performed, it will not result in space reclaim right away as, depending on the retention settings, the number of fulls will remain the same until another one is deleted according to retention.
silus
Influencer

Post by silus »

Thanks, so I could move everything except the last full and incrementals from a particualr job and it won't affect the job running, and move them back at a later date? would I need to uncheck the option to transform into rollups until I run the job when the old backups are back in the same folder or can I leave it and it will be OK simply moving the old backups back into place later?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks, so I could move everything except the last full and incrementals from a particualr job and it won't affect the job running, and move them back at a later date?
Yes, you can. However, in order to avoid any issues while moving the given files back you might need manually delete ones which have fallen out the retention policy.
Would I need to uncheck the option to transform into rollups until I run the job when the old backups are back in the same folder or can I leave it and it will be OK simply moving the old backups back into place later.
As it has been mentioned already, Veeam Backup & Replication will transform only the latest backup chain consisting of the .vbk and .vib files into reversed incremental backups - .vrb files, previous .vbk-files, as well as, dependent increments won’t be affected. So, you can leave this option as is.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.