Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RobMiller86
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Trouble enabling disabled jobs in V11, GFS checkbox enabled after upgrade

Post by RobMiller86 »

Anyone else having trouble enabling disabled jobs in V11? Just upgraded out first deployment to it and I'm pulling my hair out trying to enable jobs I disabled for the upgrade. If it matters, these are all copy jobs. I selected them all and right clicked and then clicked "Disable" to re-enable them and half of them turned on and the rest didn't. If I keep messing with them, clicking "Disable" to re-enable them, eventually some turn back on. idk, I've rebooted the server and everything. I've never had such a silly issue with Veeam like this.
RobMiller86
Service Provider

Re: Trouble enabling disabled jobs in V11

Post by RobMiller86 »

Can't enable them via Ent Mgr or Service Provider Console either. They just sit at "Enabling..." in VSPC v5. So weird.
RobMiller86
Service Provider

Post by RobMiller86 »

Well I figured it out. Apparently somehow on some of these older copy jobs it let me turn on defragment and compact at some point. When you edit one of the problematic jobs, halfway through it now warns about GFS retention not being compatible. Not sure how it was working before, all we did was upgrade from V10 to V11. It'd be nice there was some type of notification if suddenly you have an incompatible job. As it stands, it just silently fails and doesn't enable the job leaving you scratching your head when you have a long list of jobs with some working and others not.
RobMiller86
Service Provider

Post by RobMiller86 »

And apparently, if you are selecting multiple jobs to enable, it seems to roll linearly through the jobs, and silently stop at the first job that has a problem, and not continue through to the next job to enable. So that made it confusing as well, why a job wouldn't enable, then all of a sudden it would if it was first in the list of whatever selection I had. So between that and no notifications at all about problematic jobs, it was quite befuddling after an upgrade.
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Post by perjonsson1960 »

I have the same problem now after upgrading to v11 including cumulative patch 20210324. Why hasn't somebody from Veeam commented on this?!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Rob & Per.
Case is under investigation. Stay tuned.
/Thanks!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 » 1 person likes this post

In most of my copy jobs, the setting "Keep certain full backups longer for archival purposes" was checked for some reason. When I unchecked that box, the wizard went through, and the job started.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

The backup copy jobs where I had previously enabled a GFS policy explicitly, they all started immediately after I enabled them, but the jobs where I had only configured a seven day retention period without GFS, they suddenly had the checkbox "Keep certain full backups longer for archival purposes" checked after the upgrade, and that is apparently uncompatible with the "Defragment and compact full backup file" function, which I want to use. So I hope that it was correct to uncheck the "Keep certain full backups longer for archival purposes" box in order to get the jobs to work as before?
Steve-nIP
Service Provider
Liked: 52 times
Full Name: Steve

Post by Steve-nIP »

I've also seen and experienced this issue too, with copy jobs, as the post above mentions.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

I have a feeling we have two different cases here:
- Enabling disabled jobs aren't passed well. This one is totally unexpected, as we have no known issues on this side. Please open support tickets if you are experiencing jobs fail to be enabled.
- GFS changes after upgrade. v11 has major GFS change, this one is expected and was announced before, as well as popped up during upgrade.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

I was aware of the GFS changes. The problem is that B&R v11 seems to activate a "1 weekly" GFS point policy in backup copy jobs that didn't have any GFS policy specified. But since unchecking the box "Keep certain full backups longer for archival purposes" seems to solve the problem, I'm going to leave it at that. All my copy jobs are running now.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 4 people like this post

After researching the issue, developers found the root cause for all these artefacts. Due to a bug in the V11 upgrade script, the upgrade process will enable the GFS checkbox automatically for all Backup Copy jobs for which it was enabled at some point in the past, but disabled later. So, hopefully the number of impacted users should be relatively small.

However, we will look into creating an updated ISO with the fixed upgrade script along with the next cumulative patch release.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Re: Trouble enabling disabled jobs in V11, GFS checkbox enabled after upgrade

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Thanks! :-)

PJ
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

One of our customer had the same issue after upgrading to v11, the backup copy jobs just didn't wanna "un-enable", no errors in the console.

In the: "C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Svc.VeeamBackup.log" I quickly found:
"Error GFS retention is not compatible with defragment and compact"

We disabled the latter function and kept GFS and now they are able to start. This error should be shown in the console :)
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

Same issue here. I got the error even when defrag and compact was not enabled on the job settings. I was able to fix it by cloning the job to a new job and mapping the existing backup. After that I didn't get the error anymore and was able to enable the copy job.
glaspiet
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Travis Glaspie

Post by glaspiet »

I just got this error when upgrading to V11 yesterday. Easy to fix once I found this thread...... but has this been a known issue for this long ?!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Travis, this has been fixed in v11a. Thanks!