egroeg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: George Kenny

Two job schedule clashing

Post by egroeg »

Hi all, very simply.

I have two jobs - the first is my key servers which runs every hour incrmental

The second is my lower servers which runs per day @ midnight.

Using the schedule options, I cannot postpone my FIRST backup, so during the morning period, I can see both jobs trying to run and what looks like contention between the two.

My question is - can veeam run two jobs at once - if so does this affect their performance (I thought not?)
Any secondly, if not - is there a way to engineer the backups to the first backup doesnt clash with the less important second backup.

Egro.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Two job schedule clashing

Post by Gostev »

Hi, sure, most of our customers run more than one job in parallel. That is no problem. Thanks.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Hi,
you can easily run multiple jobs at once as Anton mentioned earlier. The performance mainly depends on the cores in your veeam system.
best regards,
Joerg
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Another consideration is where the VMs of each job live. In other words, when the jobs clash, are 2 or more VMs being backed up on the same datastore(s)? If so, you have 2 snapshots being created and then committed on the same LUN. This could be a IO problem with ESX or your storage device, depending on your hardware, and wrongly appear as a Veeam performance issue. You can rearrange your VMs via SVMotion, etc to prevent this.

Otherwise, as previously mentioned, Veeam can run as many jobs simultaneously as you need assuming the server hardware can handle it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Rich is correct, and also similar considerations for target storage as well, running too many concurrent jobs pointing at the same target may cause target saturation, and this will result in random errors. I did not point this out originally because you said you only have 2 jobs anyway.
cgsit
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by cgsit »

Sorry to bring up a old thread but I tried to do two different veeam jobs such as a backup and replicaton. I tried to do a replication to my other site and have a backup running of the same virtual machine. One would fail because it states the file is being in used, most likely by the other job. I don't know if this thread was meant for this setup but I was curious to see if people have successfully done this. thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Running backup/replication jobs against the same VM at the same time is not possible currently, however you will be able to do that with VB&R v6 (Q4).

Thanks.