Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
A.Lamsdell
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Antony Lamsdell

Unable to delete specific backup points on data

Post by A.Lamsdell »

Hi there,

As part of our backup solution we need to be able delete historic backups if customer data is present that shouldn't , preferably without losing data that is not within the range of risk. Previously we would manually carve these data pieces out to be compliance and just accept the loss of reliant incrementals. Now that we are using a data domain this is not an option. Is there a way within veeam to manually remove a backup point via the veeam system without scrapping the entire job chain?

Any other advice is appreciated,

Regards,
AD
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Unable to delete specific backup points on data

Post by soncscy »

If memory serves, DDBoost shares can be simultaneously exported as SMB shares; you can get at the files that way I guess.
A.Lamsdell
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Antony Lamsdell

Post by A.Lamsdell »

It's a way of doing it, yes, I've had trouble with actually getting access to it so far regardless of the correct credentials being applied. I would generally rather have a veeam side solution as opposed to a file on disk solution as this used to be an issue prior to the DD but in that case we could enforce the policy on disk as opposed to in Veeam.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

In my old backup environment, i needed to allow my windows user account and my workstations computer account to access the smb share on the datadomain. Then it works always to access the smb share.
Our old datadomain is domain joined, but was not used with Veeam software.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please keep in mind that if you delete the restore point from the middle of the backup chain, the restore points coming after it will not be restorable (in the case of forward/forever forward incremental backup method).