Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rkovhaev
Veeam Software
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Rustam

Re: Unable to truncate transaction logs.

Post by rkovhaev »

phil.p wrote:Turns out the OLE DB Provider doesn't support TLS1.1 or 1.2
Code = 0x80004005
Code meaning = Unspecified error
Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Description = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.

hopefully Veeam will move to a newer provider with support for TLS1.2 in the future.
In version 9.5 we already implemented logic that uses native sql client provider and tls 1.2 works.
There is a reg key for that new logic - feel free to contact support.
anil.kukkunuru
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anil Kukkunuru

[MERGED] Case # 02125618 Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Se

Post by anil.kukkunuru »

Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: . See guest helper log.
Sometimes the backups fails, and sometime it comes with a warning. Can you guys help me to figure out the possible solution to resolve this warning. :roll: :?:

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Case # 02125618 Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Anil,

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, with this type of warning we can start guessing and give you some things you need to check but it might be difficult to find the root cause without all the logs needed. Since you have a case ID, please keep working with our support engineers and let us know the results after the investigation.

From what I see above, my gut feeling tells me you should look at the SQL server itself and look at events over there. It seems that SQL server sometimes has issues truncating (that is what we do, we instruct SQL server to truncate) which could be for various reasons. So starting your investigation over there would be my first thing.

Cheers
Mike
anil.kukkunuru
Novice
Full Name: Anil Kukkunuru

Post by anil.kukkunuru »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the update, we truncated the logs on SQL server and still we got the same error.
Yesterday, the job failed with the below errors
4/12/2017 7:35:17 PM :: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: VSSControl: Failed to prepare guest for freeze, wait timeout 1800 sec
4/12/2017 8:06:58 PM :: Error: VSSControl: Failed to prepare guest for freeze, wait timeout 1800 sec
4/12/2017 8:06:58 PM :: Processing finished with errors at 4/12/2017 8:06:58 PM
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This one is not related to logs truncation, but a general VSS issue. Please investigate with support.
flaviu.gherman
Lurker
Full Name: Gherman Flaviu Mihai

[MERGED] Back-up job Warning

Post by flaviu.gherman »

hello,
this is my warning on my back-up job details

" Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command. Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: . See guest helper log."

can anyone give me some ideas to resolve the warning ?

THX!
CarlMcDade
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Carl McDade

Re: Back-up job Warning

Post by CarlMcDade »

Normally this kind of error is permission based. Make sure the account used to truncate the logs has the correct permissions

if you raise a ticket with Veeam support, and export the job logs, they should be able to give you an answer very quick

Cheers
mail@carlmcdade.com
http://twitter.com/CarlMcDade
http://www.carlmcdade.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Gherman, you can also review this thread for other possible reasons of this issue.
Matt@ManSol
Novice

Post by Matt@ManSol »

We are also seeing this error throughout our environment. Sometimes the job completes successfully, and sometimes with the warning:

"Failed to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to call RPC function 'Vss.TruncateSqlLogs': Error code: 0x800401fd. Failed to invoke func [TruncateSqlLogs]: Object is not connected to server."

We opened a support case, but the result was not conclusive. It was thought that the issue was caused by Antivirus blocking something. However this doesn't make sense, since the job completes successfully as well. You would think that if the AV was causing the problem that it would occur every time the job is run?

We also noted that the windows service "VeeamVssSupport" exists and is running from folder C:\Windows\VeeamVSSSupport. Volume Shadow Copy service is running.

The logs seem to indicate that the job is completing successfully, but for some reason the job is unable to perform the 'cleanup' of the service and folders which are normally removed when the job completes.
Radioman01
Lurker

Post by Radioman01 »

In version 9.5 we already implemented logic that uses native sql client provider and tls 1.2 works.
There is a reg key for that new logic - feel free to contact support.
Can you please send me the registry entry? I am running into this issue in our environment.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Radioman01,

First: Welcome to the forums
Second: Are you suffering the above issue from Matt? (This is a rather long thread so ;-)). If so, please contact support as said above. They will be able to help you out (after looking if it is indeed the same issue)

Thanks
Mike
Radioman01
Lurker

Post by Radioman01 »

I am having the exact same issue has "phil.p". I have TLS 1.0 and 1.1 disabled, only enabling TLS 1.2 for testing PCI compliance. When I do that, the SQL databases show the " [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error." error in the Veeam Agent log and truncation fails. We are testing this in a development environment to evaluate Veeam to replace our existing system so we do not have a support contract. Is there a way to open a ticket without one?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes. Even within evaluation you can open a support ticket.

Are you working together with a Veeam representative during the evaluation? Otherwise you can ask him/ her for assistance also if needed
serty@serty.ru
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sergey

Post by serty@serty.ru » 1 person likes this post

ADD key and reboot.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Server] "Enabled"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Server] "DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client] "Enabled"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client] "DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000001
Andrip
Lurker
Full Name: Andri Purnomo

Post by Andrip »

Hi All,

I got warning message related to truncate microsoft SQL server "Failed to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Detail: Failed to call RPC function 'vss.TruncateSqlLogs': Error code 0x800401fd. Failed to invoke func [truncateSqlLogs]: Object is not connected to server."
I follow this link https://www.veeam.com/kb2027 but I'm not able to find this word "Truncation Statistics" in the GuestHelperLog, Appreciate any help

Regards,
Andri
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Andri,

Have you already raised a support request? If yes, please post your case ID here. The error you mentioned differs from those mentioned in the KB, so I would suggest investigating the issue with our support team directly. Also, there was a discussion about this error here, but it's not clear what kind of permissions issue it was (this info is not a part of the case mentioned by the poster).

Thanks,
Fedor
horacekv21
Lurker
Full Name: Vojtěch Horáček

Post by horacekv21 »

Hey All,

I've encountered the error message about B&R not being able to truncate SQL Logs today and managed to get it solved. I'm running SQL Server 2017 Express on Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a guest on a Hyper-V 2016 and Veeam B&R 9.5U4. My case precisely revolved around the error code 0x80004005 logged by the guest helper:

Code: Select all

7/23/2019 12:46:12 AM   5520  INFO            Connecting to mssql, connection string: Provider='sqloledb';Data Source='server.domain.local\DBNAME';Integrated Security='SSPI';Persist Security Info=False, timeout: 15
7/23/2019 12:46:28 AM   5520  WARN            Instance 'DBNAME' connection problem: 	Code = 0x80004005
7/23/2019 12:46:28 AM   5520  WARN            	Code meaning = Unspecified error
7/23/2019 12:46:28 AM   5520  WARN            	Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
7/23/2019 12:46:28 AM   5520  WARN            	Description = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
7/23/2019 12:46:28 AM   5520  WARN            
7/23/2019 12:46:28 AM   5520  WARN            COM error:  Code: 0x80004005.
I'm using a dedicated backup operator account which is a member of the Domain Admins group which in turn is assigned the "sysadmin" role on the SQL server instance. The problem actually turned out to be caused by the fact that the database listens for incoming connections on a non-standard port - TCP 63001 in my case. The Microsoft OLE DB Provider used by the guest helper interprets the Data Source field of the connection string and because it specifies no port, it attempts to connect to a database listening the default port - TCP 1433 and times out after 15 seconds. Enabling the SQL Server Browser service whose purpose is to direct SQL connection attempts to the right ports doesn't help, the provider doesn't seem to consult it. Unfortunately, Backup & Replication also doesn't seem to support specifying a non-standard port for the OLE DB Provider manually.

Fortunately, there is a way to work around this limitation. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, you can configure connection aliases which enable the connection attempts to be redirected to the corresponding ports based on the exact wording of the "Data Source" field specified in the connection string. Open up SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Native Client 11.0 Configuration > Aliases and add a new Alias:

Alias name: server.domain.local\DBNAME
Port:       *non-standard tcp port*
Protocol:   TCP/IP
Server:     127.0.0.1

You also need to make sure the server actually listens on the loopback interface 
in SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for DBNAME > TCP/IP
Save, then restart the affected SQL Server instance service. You can test the connection yourself using powershell (provided your account is authorized to connect to the instance):

# $conn = New-Object System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
# $conn.ConnectionString = "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=server.domain.local\DBNAME;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False"
# $conn.Open()
Cheers,
Vojtech
Vidhyashankar.Dube
Lurker
Full Name: Vidhyashankar dube

Post by Vidhyashankar.Dube »

Hi

Can any one help me in this this case id 03732931

Failed to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: RPC function call failed. Function name: [BlobCall]. Target machine: [10.0.0.5]. RPC error:There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. Code: 1753
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Vidhyashankar,

As far as I see there is an ongoing conversation with our support engineers so please keep working with them directly.

Thanks
shananilen
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Shanan Ilen

Post by shananilen » 1 person likes this post

If someone having this error
"Unable to truncate Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs. Details: Failed to process 'TruncateSQLLog' command.
Failed to truncate SQL server transaction logs for instances: . See guest helper log."

There is a permission error, So follow these KB articles.
For more information, please refer to the User Guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... processing

In addition, this KB can help KB1746: Log truncation issue on Microsoft SQL server (veeam.com)