Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Unexpected evacuation behaviour

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

We are currently evacuating our backups to a new repo server.
We have four repos to evacuate in the old servers, and there are two repos in the new server.
All repos, old and new, are in the same SOBR. We put the first repo in Maintenance Mode and started the evac. And now we see that the backup files for a certain VM are spread on both repos in the new server, despite the fact that the SOBR is configured for Data Locality. To me that is an unexpected behaviour. Is this a known issue?

We are running VBR v11 with the latest patch installed.

Kind regards,
PJ
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2940 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Unexpected evacuation behaviour

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that sounds wrong to me. From your post about a year ago, it looks like you changed to "performance mode" at some point in time. But performance mode makes no sense with REFS (or XFS).

I would check with support. Please post the case number for reference. Depending on the outcome, V12 might have a solution with the "strict placement policy enforcement" checkbox.

Best regards,
Hannes
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

It is correct that I changed to Performance at one time, because I was worried about disk space, so I wanted to let the full backups reside on one extent, and incrementals on another. But I realized my mistake shortly thereafter, so I changed back. And that was probably about a year ago, as you say. So all the backup chains were corrected months ago.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Case #06009979