Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

Update 3 complex upgrade

Post by philfreund »

I have a more complex scenario for upgrading to U3 so I could use some help understanding the best way to do the upgrade.

Site 1: B&R server; Enterprise Manager server for all sites
Site 2: B&R server - access is across 500 mb link from Site 1; backup copy target from Site 1 B&R server
Site 3: B&R server - access from Site 1 is across 3 mb link; uses WAN Accelerator to Site 3 B&R server as backup copy target

As I understand it, I should do the upgrade to the Enterprise Manager server first. This will then initiate the upgrades for all of the B&R servers. The problem is that I don't have the bandwidth to upgrade Site 3 from Site 1. I need to do the upgrade directly on the Site 3 B&R server.

Am I misunderstanding something? If not, how do I ensure that I do the upgrade on the Site 3 server locally? Sites 1 & 2 aren't a problem.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Update 3 complex upgrade

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Phil,
I would suggest to first upgrade Enterprise Manager and then upgrade VBR Servers on the remote sites.
You can upgrade the servers locally.
Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

philfreund wrote:As I understand it, I should do the upgrade to the Enterprise Manager server first. This will then initiate the upgrades for all of the B&R servers. The problem is that I don't have the bandwidth to upgrade Site 3 from Site 1. I need to do the upgrade directly on the Site 3 B&R server.
This is not really true, Enterprise Manager does not push the upgrade to the other servers, you just have to upgrade Enterprise Manager first, so that it can properly manage both the older and newer systems at the same time. You then still manually upgrade each B&R server and, when you do that, the B&R server will automatically upgrade any proxy/repos/other components that are managed by that specific server.
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

Post by philfreund »

Thanks for the clarification. That's the part I wasn't sure about.