Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SatMDOR
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MarinaDor

Update 8.0 to 9.5?

Post by SatMDOR »

Good afternoon,

In the company we worked with Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0.0.2084 and we were thinking about updating it to version 9.5 (we have maintenance to date ...), it is currently mounted on a SQL Server 2005 (we have the possibility to use SQL Server 2008, 2012 and 2014) with a Vsphere 5.5 Infrastructure.

The question is to know if the following points can give us problems:

- Virtual machines with Windows Server 2003 (when making copies with Veeam 9.5)
- Is there any kind of problem that the SQL Server is in a virtualized machine and not in the same machine as the Veeam?
- Is there really any improvement when using SQL Server 2008 instead of SQL Server 2014 for the DB?
- What would be the improvements that would be noticed more taking into account the infrastructure that I commented approximately?

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Update 8.0 to 9.5?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi SatMDor,

First: Welcome to the forums!

To answer your questions
SatMDOR wrote: Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm - Virtual machines with Windows Server 2003 (when making copies with Veeam 9.5)
It will work just like with version 8, but I guess I don't need to tell you that this is not supported anymore :-)
SatMDOR wrote: Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm - Is there any kind of problem that the SQL Server is in a virtualized machine and not in the same machine as the Veeam?
No
SatMDOR wrote: Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm - Is there really any improvement when using SQL Server 2008 instead of SQL Server 2014 for the DB?
No. I would use 2014 if I can? I'm not sure if I understand where the question comes from (note: we now have 2012 in the installer package, not 2008 anymore)
SatMDOR wrote: Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm - What would be the improvements that would be noticed more taking into account the infrastructure that I commented approximately?
More functionality. What exactly has improved over 8.0 I can't remember out of my head, but in the what's new you will be able to see a lot :-)

Please read this guide before doing the upgrade: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_9_5_ ... tes_rn.pdf (especially page 24 for the upgrade process. If you want to upgrade from 8.0 you need to be at update 3)

Hope it helps
Cheers
Mike
SatMDOR
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: MarinaDor

Post by SatMDOR »

When performing an installation from 0, SQL Server is included in the installation of Veeam 9.5 (if so, I understand that it is an Express)

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it is Express edition. Also it is highly recommended to upgrade your SQL Server for potential performance improvements of the backup console UI and security reasons.