Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamo23
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: JON

USB rotated backups killing network

Post by jamo23 »

I've been having an issue with 3 of my switches reporting offline status when running 2 USB backups early in the morning. Switches are Cisco 3560 1Gb and offline reporting comes from total network monitor and from spiceworks network monitor. Backups do run successfully but the offline alerts are an annoyance for the whole team. My LAN backups to NAS do not cause these alerts to be thrown on the same VM backups. These jobs do not run at the same time.

I thought I may have had it figured out by changing storage optimization from local target to LAN target but one of the offending jobs was already on LAN. My USB 3.0 device is plugged into my virtual center physical server if that makes any difference. I'm pretty sure this started after upgrading to V9. currently at V9 update 2.

Busy: Source 93% > Proxy 96% > Network 17% > Target 1% VM1
All time thru put 457 MB/s

Busy: Source 83% > Proxy 97% > Network 45% > Target 2% VM2
All time thru put 501 MB/s
slos
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Steven Los

Re: USB rotated backups killing network

Post by slos »

Consider enabling Backup IO Control, set it somewhat low, and work your way up until your reporting tool reports the outage again. Return IO Control to the settings previous to the alert.
VMCE, MCSE
jamo23
Novice

Post by jamo23 »

I added the throttling rule for my local network at 140Mbps. I will post the results.
jamo23
Novice

Post by jamo23 »

140Mbps was way too slow for my bkp window. On the bright side there were no networking alerts.
I bumped up to 480 to see what happens.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Could you please describe your setup in a bit more detail? How your devices are added to Veeam B&R (what type of repository used)? Where are they located in relation to Veeam B&R itself? Do you have a separate Veeam B&R console installed? Are you talking about regular backup jobs (not backup copies)?
lreese
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Logan Reese

Post by lreese »

How is 480Mbps working for you? I was having a similar problem.
jamo23
Novice

Post by jamo23 »

480 has been working well for a few days now. they complete in good time and i get no switch down alerts.

Its only the USB bkps that i have a problem with. This jobs repository was added as windows server and the path to back up is the USB 3.0 drive share. The USB drive itself is plugged into my vcenter physical server and B&R server is a VM on host in same subnet as vcenter, B&R, and switches. These are regular backup jobs with rotated media selected in advanced.