Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KeithC
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Chilek

Use a VM in the cloud as a repository

Post by KeithC »

What I'm trying to do:
-Create a VM in the cloud that my on-premise Veeam installation can connect to as a repository (not via Cloud Connect).

How I'm trying to do it:
-I created an EC2 VM running Windows Server 2012 on AWS.
-I set the Security Group (firewall rule) in AWS to allow all traffic from our corporate IP. I turned off Windows firewall on the VM.
-I attempt to add the server as a repository in Veeam B&R version 8 using the AWS DNS name assigned and administrator credentials I created on the server.

What happens:
-I get hit with the error "The network path was not found. Failed to created persistent connection to ADMIN$ shared folder on host. Failed to install service (VeeamDeploymentService) was not installed on the host."

I've tried solutions from a dozen places and they don't work. I even installed Wireshark on the AWS VM so I could verify the traffic coming in and I can see the packets on port 6160 hitting the server. I'm running a Cisco ASA on my side, all outbound traffic is allowed.

I would assume something is getting blocked somewhere either by design or by the internet being the internet. If it's not meant to be, then fine, I'd just like to know why! Thanks for any input.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Use a VM in the cloud as a repository

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Does the account used have Local Admin rights on the server? If yes, please open a case with technical support for a closer look at your setup. Also please check if UAC is enabled on the server.

Thank you.
headcloudmonkey
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dan Gould

Post by headcloudmonkey »

On the credentials make sure to use the remote machine name

I.e. Awsvm\administrator if the VM is called awsvm in the OS
Daniel Gould
CTO
w: www.stratogen.net
headcloudmonkey
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dan Gould

Post by headcloudmonkey » 1 person likes this post

Just be aware of the talkative nature of Veeam to a repo, and factor that in on your costs with AWS. You may find that a cloud connect service works out cheaper :)
Daniel Gould
CTO
w: www.stratogen.net
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Few things to check:

- Are you positive all required ports are open?
- What happens if you install required packages manually and, then, re-add repository? Required package (VeeamTransport.msi) can be found under the Backup/Packages/

Thanks.