Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
massimof
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Massimo Furlotti

Using a Veeam B&R Enterprise server and a Veeam Community Edition server on the same vCenter

Post by massimof »

Hello Everyone, I'm a new member.
In our company we have 2 vmWare clusters, one of which is in the headquarters and one in a remote branch, both managed by only one vcenter (also located in the headquarters). We purchased Veeam B&R 9.5 Enterprise to save around 60 vm that are running in the headquarters and we would like to use the Community version of Veeam to save the 8 vm that are running in the remote location. Are there functional limits or license non-conformances for using a Veeam B&R Enterprise server and a Veeam Community Edition server on the same vCenter?
Thank you in advance for feedback.

Best Regards
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Using a Veeam B&R Enterprise server and a Veeam Community Edition server on the same vCenter

Post by Dima P. »

Hello massimof,

Yes, multiple backup servers can be used to protect single vCenter environment. Cheers!
massimof
Novice

Re: Using a Veeam B&R Enterprise server and a Veeam Community Edition server on the same vCenter

Post by massimof »

Hi Dima,
thanks for the quick answer.

Are there any problems with licenses using both B&R Enterprise and B&R Community Edition on the same Vcenter?

Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Only legal :) Veeam licensing policy explicitly prohibits backup servers licensed with different license terms from protecting the same source infrastructure.
Veeam Licensing Policy wrote:2.4.2 Customers can use multiple License Keys with different license terms, but only for completely separate backup infrastructures (which are defined as not sharing backups, servers or storage between each other and are protecting different source infrastructures).
massimof
Novice

Post by massimof »

Yes I understand.

In fact we have 2 separate vmWare clusters, on 2 different server and storage systems, in geographically different locations, the systems are only managed by the same vcenter. In this case in the remote branch, where we have the cluster with 8 vm, can we use a Veeam B&R server with a Community Edition license to save them?

Thank you for a reply.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No - this would be against Veeam licensing policy, because they are a part of the same virtual infrastructure (based on the fact that they are being managed by the same vCenter). If the remote branch had its own vCenter, then it would have been fine. Thanks!
massimof
Novice

Post by massimof »

Understand.

Thanks.
Regards
PNSRMPL
Novice
Full Name: Michal Raszkowski

[MERGED] Two separate Veeam backup and one vCenter enviroment

Post by PNSRMPL »

Hello,

My question is somewhat licensing but more technical.

Our scenario has two datacenters managed by one vCenter Standard. Datacenters has very different workloads and as such different licenseing requirement for licensing.
We also not planning to replicate or backup machines betweeen datacenters. We just want to use and manage one vCenter.

Is it possible/supported scenario to:

a) use Veeam Enterprise Plus Edition to backup all VMs (and other workloads) in one datacenter
and
b) use Veeam Standard Edition to backup all VMs from other datacenter

using the same/one vCenter Server ?

(of course using separate Veeam consoles (as per licensing))

Technically CBT tech in VMware should allow such concurrent access - but what about:
a) connecting two different Veeams to one vCenter ?
b) limiting priviledges for Veeam account on vCenter to only suset of infrastructure (one datacenter defined in VMware)
c) performance of backups when one Veeam console is located in different geo location (slow WAN) then vCenter (however same location as vSphere hosts to backup)

thx in advance for responses
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Using backup servers with different licensing to protect the same source infrastructure is against Veeam licensing policy, see the above discussion for more details. In your case, the facts that both data centers are managed by the single vCenter Server and using the single VMware license clearly make it a single vSphere installation.
PNSRMPL
Novice
Full Name: Michal Raszkowski

Post by PNSRMPL »

Thanks for clarification. Topic closed.
massimof
Novice

Post by massimof »

Hello Everyone,
as I said a few months ago, my company has have 2 vmWare clusters, one of which is in the headquarters and one in a remote branch, both managed by only one vcenter (also located in the headquarters). We purchased Veeam B&R 9.5 Enterprise to save around 60 vm that are running in the headquarters and now we have also purchased Veeam B&R 9.5 Enterprise for the remote cluster with 8 vm to backup.
I kindly ask you to help me clear up a couple of doubts:

1- the internet connection between the headquarters and the branch is about 4 mbps, would you recommend to install only a remote proxy with a remote repository connected to the Veeam b&r server in the headquarters or it is better to install even a Veeam b&r server in the remote branch with its proxy and repository?

2 - If the best solution is to install a Veeam b&r server in the remote branch, do I have to merge the headquarters and branch licenses or can I keep them separate, then upload the branch license only to the remote Veeam b&r server?

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me

Best Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Massimo, sorry for the late reply. It should be enough to have a single Veeam B&R installation managing jobs in both locations. But if you decide to go with two separate installations, you do not need to merge licenses unless you're going to use Enterprise Manager to cover them both. Thanks!