Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

using BCJ to move 90 restore points from Storeonce Catalyst store to another Storeonce Catalyst store

Post by evilaedmin »

Hi,
I am trying to use Backup Copy Job to move 90 restore points from one Catalyst store to another. The BCJ interface, on Target step, blocks me with message: "Maximum number of incremental backups between full backups cannot exceed 35 for HPE StoreOnce backup repositories."

For primary job target, this does not apply to us as we use the weekly synthetic fulls feature to keep incremental chain to 1 full and 6 incrementals.

How can I copy all 90 restore points (consisting of chains of 1 full + 6 incrementals, repeated) from one Catalyst store to Another?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: using BCJ to move 90 restore points from Storeonce Catalyst store to another Storeonce Catalyst store

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, actually Backup Copy jobs do not copy backup files at all. They copy the latest restore point every time they start (usually daily), and only the latest.

Migrations like the one you mentioned are usually done by simply moving backup files from one repository to another using native OS tools. And I am not sure how to do this with Catalyst stores... it may be possible, I just don't know StoreOnce too well - perhaps some of your fellow StoreOnce users could chime and comment?

Thanks!
JasonL
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Leiva

Re: using BCJ to move 90 restore points from Storeonce Catalyst store to another Storeonce Catalyst store

Post by JasonL »

You can actually do a right click>copy on the files you want to move and paste them into the destination store. You do this under "files" in the UI. The Copy Job wizard will not work for this, however, so it's a manual process (shift+click does work for highlighting). If you were moving contents of an entire store/VBR repository, you could also create a scale out repository and evacuate it, but that process has proven somewhat slow in testing. I'm not sure how it compares to the file copy.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Jason, I am not quite sure this approach transfers metadata banks which are created through the dedicated API call and are stored separately, although I admit this may have been fixed recently without me noticing!
JasonL
Veeam Software

Post by JasonL »

I will check with the PM team to confirm if there is anything missing outside of the backup and metadata files themselves and report back to this post.
JasonL
Veeam Software

Post by JasonL » 1 person likes this post

Please disregard my statement on file copy to move backups. To Gostev's point, we do have some "hidden" items that are required for our integration that are not able to be copied. In fact, if you try to copy the actual backups it won't allow it by design in current builds to prevent any issues. It will allow you to copy the VBM file, but obviously that isn't the backup. :-)

Back to the original question, it sounds like an evacuation via scale out repository may be your best option for moving out of a store, at least in it's entirety. There is no way to selectively move just specific backup chains with this method, however.
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

From my experience on this, until Veeam includes Catalyst Copy support, you basically have to use the SOBR evacuate tool to do this. Basically add the current StoreOnce repo as an extent to the SOBR, then put it in maintenance and evacuate it. We had to temporarily boost the memory on our gateway, but after many days of copying 100+TB, we moves it all to a new catalyst store.