we are actually running a VSphere VCenter 5.1 with ESXi 5.1 hosts and Veeam 9.5 for Backup.
Now we have deployed a new virtual infrastructure based on VSphere 6.5 (new hosts, new storage, new vcenter server) and I'm considering the options for moving the VMs.
First of all we cannot add the old ESXi to the new VCenter because 6.5 do not support 5.1 hosts and so I think we are left with two options:
### Option One ###
- mount the old storage NFS shares to the new VSphere
- shut down the vms
- import and power them on on the new VSphere
- use storage VMotion to relocate to the new storage
### Option two ###
- Setup veeam replication to the new VSphere
- Do a permanent failover of the VM
In your opinion what is the best way?
In particular I would like to keep veeam backups and offsite copy without the need to schedule new jobs and/or use additional backup space
I have a couple of VM that are about 5TB in size!
Thanks for the hints.