Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Moving server between sites

Veeam Logoby jmerfeld » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:29 pm

If I wanted to send the replica to site b.. then a month later after people work on it.. replicate it back to site a for updates.. make my changes, and then replicate it back to site b for people to work on again, I would need to license site b with veeam to pull this off correct?

or is there another way.
jmerfeld
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Merfeld

Re: Moving server between sites

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:34 pm

You could temporarily revoke the license from the source host and assign it to the host in site B that would serve as source for the replication job, then revoke and assign it back.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Best practive to move a DC Windows 2008 to a Differ

Veeam Logoby sdelacruz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Hello everyone,

I am in a middle of a debate. I have 3 hosts. 1 host is running Vsphere 4.1 esx. The other 2 hosts are running Vsphere 5.0 esxi
I am running Veeam V&R 6.5.
On my 4.1 host, I am currently running out of space on my datastore. I am in need to move a DC living on ESx 4.1 to one of my 5.0 host.
I want to move the DC using veeam but do not know which is the procedure to do it. Is there a best practice to do this? Can this be accomplished with veeam?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SAM
sdelacruz
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Re: Best practive to move a DC Windows 2008 to a Different H

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Hello Sam,

Yes, it can be accomplished with either replication or Quick Migration jobs. Moving DC should be the same as moving any other VM, just make sure you use AAIP (application aware image processing) during migration to the another host.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Best practive to move a DC Windows 2008 to a Different H

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:15 am

It might be still better to follow with replication scenario, since VM you’re going to migrate is DC and quick migration doesn’t utilize AAIP (Required for proper quiescing of such VM). Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] Single Replica instance

Veeam Logoby sjmp » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 pm

I want to move a VM in production to a WAN DR site. And was going to use Veeam to replicate the VM.

If I setup a replication job to move this. Once it is moved over can I remove it from Veeam and the vm from production and not effect the replicated VM in DR?

Basically I will not need to replicate this once the initial job is complete. Are there any instructions, recommendations or problems with this?

Thanks,

SJ
sjmp
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Parkis

Re: Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Scott, please review the thread above for similar discussions. Basically, you can safely remove the original VM after performing permanent failover and making sure the replica VM operates as required.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] New Site Migration Question

Veeam Logoby royp » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 pm

We have a licenced copy of Veeam BnR vers 7.
We don’t have the Wan Accelerator Licenced, but would look into it if it helped.
We have Esxi 5.1
We have vSphere Storage Motion and Vsphere vMotion along with vSphere HA

Scenario is:
1 current site with a 2 meg Leased line which usually gives an average upload of 3.5 Mbps
Shortly we will be moving our entire 24/7 operation from this existing site to a completely new site and closing this existing site down.
The New site will have a min 40 meg leased line possibly 100meg, however it is all governed by the 2 meg existing leased line at the existing site.

We currently have 3 ESXi Hosts vers 5.1 with a variety of virtuals on each.
MY QUESTION IS
Some of the virtual guests cannot be simply shut down for a long period of time ie a weekend and the hosts transported over to the new site and booted back up as they are connected to 24/7 production machinery.
Is there a way that Veeam could be set to replicate these virtual guests over to the new sight bearing in mind some of them have over 1tb of data on them.

We can afford to shut these virtual guests down for approx. 30 mins possibly 1 hour but any longer and we are pushing our luck as production machinery is then down costing money.
We are trying to come up with the simplest and most effective way of having as little down time as possible in moving data from one site to another.
All the data is stored using HP Lefthand Sans.
If anyone has any other way of doing this either via Veeam or Vmware we are open to ideas. I was thinking of using a Veeam Replica backup over at the new site by
•creating the initial Veeam Replica at the existing site on the new ESXi Host/guest
•Taking that said host/guest and its storage over to the new sight ready to bring it up as the new master when we are ready.

If this is the best way great, if not we would really appreciate any ideas input.

Thanks
royp
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Roy P

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:28 pm 1 person likes this post

Roy, you're thinking right, replication is what you need here to guarantee minimum VMs downtime during the migration. Please look through this thread for more considerations. Btw, seeding the replica on such a slow line is also a good decision.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby royp » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Nice one Alexander,
Forgot to ask down about seeding glad you mentioned that as that was my next question, just noticed this thread after posting my question. I just got down to my post after reading all the above.
Seems straight forward enough, he says, famous last words eh.
Thanks for the quick response as usually Alexander
royp
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:13 pm 1 person likes this post

You're welcome. Feel free to ask for any additional clarification you need.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby emachabert » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 pm 2 people like this post

Did this multiple times with success.
Largest migration was from Lyon to Paris over a leased L2 link @1gb. Moved 30TB of VM smoothly over a 3 month timeframe.
End users never noticed anything since cutover were done at night. The L2 link was also carrying 300 vlans.
Veeam is the best migration tool for vsphere to vsphere migrations.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Vanguard 2015,2016,2017
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 163 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Veeam Logoby royp » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks eric and Alexander for the input.

We can move most things with out worrying too much about down time within reason of course, however its the Centos servers which connect upto our Centos run machinery which runs 24/7 and takes quite a lot of timing to shut this machinery down correctly. Our file server / exchange / dcs / sql etc etc is not an issue hopefully should be relatively straight forward, he says touching wood.

If we decided to change the source servers IP range from say 192.9.200.* to 192.168.0.* for arguaments sake in the NEW DESTINATION when we bring it online, I notice the option for seperate virtual networks and differant IP addressing on the rep job.
HOWEVER
If for speed of the initial seed job we ran it on the existing site on the same 192.9.200.* then took it over to the new destination 192.168.0.* site, would I then be able to change the IP addressing options within the rep job to take into account that its then on a differant subnet. (just about to read up on this but always best to ask those that know it in side out)
This isnt a 100% definate, Im just trying to get my head around our options before hand, I would also create a few mickey mouse test rep jobs first to try the options out and see how things do and dont work, but just wanted to know what will and wont work with veeam.
Hopefully that makes sense.
royp
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:32 am 1 person likes this post

royp wrote:HOWEVER
If for speed of the initial seed job we ran it on the existing site on the same 192.9.200.* then took it over to the new destination 192.168.0.* site, would I then be able to change the IP addressing options within the rep job to take into account that its then on a differant subnet.

Yes, the next restore point (the one created after mapping replication job to the replicas transferred offsite and specifying re-IP settings) will reflect the address changes.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Hyper-v Migration

Veeam Logoby blodsbror » Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 am

Hi,

We have approximately 150 Hyper-v VM's that we need to migrate from one production environment to another (2012 R2 to 2012 R2 and different storage). I'm just wondering how Veeam could help us in this scenario ?

Is it possible to use veeam replication functionality to achieve this ? We could of course use SCVMM, however as Veeam is independent of the hypervisor and probably requires much less configuration (the two platforms are joined to two different domains), I'm just wondering if there could be any advantage in using it over SCVMM.

I've heard Veeam ZIP mentioned a lot, but I guess that's just single VM's at a time. Any tips would be appreciated!

thanks!
blodsbror
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Evan Williams

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication