Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Using Veeam replication to Migrate Datacenter

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 am

Correct. Planned failover can be done manually.

In order to do that:

- Run replication jobs
- Shutdown VMs
- Run replication jobs another time to transfer changes done after initial cycle
- Perform failover
- Run failover for some time just to check whether everything works as expected
- Commit failover

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 907 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Unless domain accounts are used to connect to hosts/vCenter servers, domain controller is not required in such failover scenario.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby JosvwHLT » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:25 am

Thanks for these very useful answers, I'm going to run some tests with the manual 'planned failover' scenario.
JosvwHLT
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jos van Wordragen

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 am

Keep us posted on how it is going and feel free to ask for any further assistance, if required.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JosvwHLT » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:35 am

Thanks, I'll get back later with results. Preparing test scenario at the moment.
JosvwHLT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby JosvwHLT » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 am

We're finalizing our tests in regards of our data center migration. I discussed the 'planned failover' option. That seems to be a working option. I have 2 questions left: if I do a planned failover it still needs to be finalized with a 'permanent failover'? Is that correct. After that 'permanent failover' I have 2 snapshots left. I guess these can be committed (with the snapshot 'delete all') option after everything is right? Am I right here?
JosvwHLT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:10 am

JosvwHLT wrote:if I do a planned failover it still needs to be finalized with a 'permanent failover'? Is that correct.

Correct.

JosvwHLT wrote:After that 'permanent failover' I have 2 snapshots left. I guess these can be committed (with the snapshot 'delete all') option after everything is right? Am I right here?

These snapshots will be deleted during permanent failover.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JosvwHLT » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:31 pm

The 'permanent failover' test I did left me with 2 snapshot / restore point files. Both we're deleted with the 'delete all' option from within vSphere. What could have gone wrong?
JosvwHLT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby csinetops » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:58 pm 2 people like this post

That "shouldn't" happen but happened to me also during my last datacenter move on about 2% of my VM's. I just made a point to check and make sure the snaps were deleted after a permanent failover was done. If not, I would just remove them manually using the "delete all snaps" button in VMware. If you have Veeam One and are super paranoid like myself, there is a report you can run to show any machines running on snaps after you complete a set of moves just to be sure...

I moved 110 VM's (20TB) of data from our old data center to our new one last year without any issues and all of 5-15 mins of down time per VM while failover was happening. I also used the network remap option which worked great 99% of the time. All in all Veeam saved us major headache. I think as long as you test, ( looks like you are wrapping that up) It'll go fine. What I really loved was the fact that I could stage up all my VM's in the new datacenter and just keep them synching until their cutover window.

Good luck!
csinetops
Enthusiast

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: csinetops

Veeam Logoby JosvwHLT » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks "csinetops" for your reply. We have Veeam One snaps report running so they will be picked up. Reason for dropping the question was if removing the snap/restores points by means of the "delete all" would be ok. That last bit is answered by your reply. Thanks !
JosvwHLT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:58 am

Leftover snapshots are not expected, so if you'd like to investigate the reasons, feel free to open a case with our technical support.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JosvwHLT » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:51 pm 1 person likes this post

Performed migration, no snapshots were left over. Everything worked perfectly fine. We only ran into issues replicating and recovering W2k12 R2 DCs at the new location. But reading some of the posts that's nothing new. Tried to find a proper documentation set which describes the process of bringing this to a good end. I assumed Veeam would take care of this but it looked like it didn't. DCs are being backupped with 'application awareness' on. Despite that it was a struggle to get the servers back online. We succeeded in just copying the VMDKs and start them at the new location and marked them as being 'moved' instead of being 'copied'. That brought back a stable domain.
JosvwHLT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 pm

JosvwHLT wrote:Despite that it was a struggle to get the servers back online.

What was the issue? I'd like to have QC to try and reproduce.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2270 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby JosvwHLT » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 pm

After replicating and performing the failover of 2 DCs we got the following error message when Connecting to Active Directory: "Naming information cannot be located because: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is currently online."
No netlogon and sysvol share was available. Basically the domain wasn't properly up and running. Don't know if the same problem exist on a single DC domain, it certainly does on a multi DC one.
JosvwHLT
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 am

Veeam B&R performs a non-authoritative DC restore, where it needs other DC’s to sync up after reboot. In your scenario, I suspect, you did restore (failover) all of your DC's (two actually) at once, so there were no other replication partners available and sync process just took too long. You need to force one of the DC's to become authoritative for SYSVOL, so that they can start replicating.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication