Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Re: v10 RTM License: Getting, Updating, Expiration

Post by DonZoomik »

Situations where the same customer has multiple licenses of the same type (for example, 3 different Socket licenses) are much more rare. In this case, you do need to merge them into the single license file in order to use them in the single backup server. This has been the case since v1, so no changes here. This is not something that can be easily automated on the product side, particularly because merging multiple licenses of the same type requires co-terming them. Which means new contract etc.
That's exactly our case when licenses from corporate subordinates were merged to parent holding company, upgraded to common level and (roughly) co-termed, just before license prices increased.
That's how my merge dialog looks, there is no v10 option - individual licenses have v10 option but as we're merging standalone backup systems to one common one, we need a common license file.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

As I explained earlier in this thread, you do NOT need to merge socket and instance licenses to use both in a v10 backup server. This is exactly why you see no v10 option while attempting to perform such a merge. Instead, all you need to do is download and install those individual v10 socket and instance license files (that you said you do see in the portal) into the v10 backup server.

v10 backup server will accept 1 socket license and 1 instance license with the matching Company Name. You can install/update/remove both socket and instance "parts" individually with v10.

IF you have multiple socket licenses, and want to use their total capacity in the single backup server: you have to merge them first, so that you have 1 socket license file.

IF you have multiple instance licenses, and want to use their total capacity in the single backup server: you have to merge them first, so that you have 1 instance license file.

There may be additional complexities with such merges if licenses to be merged belong to different entities, as proof of companies merger will be requested by the licensing support engineer. So in such scenarios, you will need to open a Licensing support case to perform the license merge.

Thanks!
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

These three are all socket licenses of different amount - 12, 12 and 6 sockets. And proof was provided just a few months ago and they are currenty under one account and they used to be merged for 9.5U4. Ugh fine, I'll create a new ticket.
Btw - still no response from Saturday's ticket.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sounds good, and I'll also ask the web team to have a closer look at this to ensure there are no bugs with your scenario.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

To avoid confusion with this [originally] v10 RTM build licensing discussion, I will lock this thread down now that v10 is GA. Thanks!
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik » 1 person likes this post

As thread is still actually open - I was about to create a new ticket for v10 license merge but noticed that merge to v10 is now available.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ah, great to hear! Thanks for updating us.