Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

v10 RTM Veeam Installer Service Not Updated

Post by JPMS »

Installing v10 RTM I selected to have all remote components updated automatically.

After installation I noticed that the Veeam Installer Service had not been updated on the B&R server, the Hyper-V host or the Windows Repo (all other services had been). I (wrongly) guessed that this was the result of an architecture change and was no longer required. Following good practice to remove any unnecessary software I removed it on the host and the repo and thoroughly broke B&R. Any connections to host or repo gave an 'RPC service unavailable error'.

Reinstalling the service fixed the issue (and I updated the version that was still installed on the B&R server). Is there any reason that this service wasn't updated with the others? I appreciate that it may be unchanged from v9.5u4 but it is a bit confusing having one component with an old version number.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: v10 RTM Veeam Installer Service Not Updated

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Except for the label, all the components are updated.

There is a way to update the label in the Program and features: you can run VeeamInstallerSvc.msi in the Packages folder contained at setup image.

Thanks!
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

Yes I already found VeeamInstallerSvc.msi as I had to put it back on the servers I'd removed it from.

I suppose my main point was why not run it automatically as part of updating the software? Otherwise it is confusing when you look at the installed version numbers. It looks like it has been missed out or is a legacy program that is no longer required.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, it does run automatically as part of updating the software... and we had this functionality for a very long time. It looks like there is a glitch with the component version string not updated under Add/Remove Programs though, which is what made you think it's a legacy component and remove it - which subsequently broke things.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

The Veeam mount service is also not updated. Every time I start the console it prompts that the mount service needs to be upgraded. This update completes successfully, but next time the console is started, it prompts to update again.

When going to add/remove programs I noticed that installer and mount service were still on 9.5. Manually uninstalling those and installing from the V10 iso solved the issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This case, on the other hand, is something we want to investigate if possible.

As noted above, old version number is just a UI string glitch. This can be ignored if you don't see any errors, or have components hanging in Out of Date nodes of the management tree.

However, getting a prompt from the console means there was some actual issue with updating this component automatically.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

I opened a case already #03994800, but the engineer didn’t quite understand what I meant.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Thanks, case number is all I need to take this forward.
COCONET
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: COCONET

Post by COCONET » 1 person likes this post

Hi all,

I am sorry, but I have to smile a little bit right now, because I had the same behaviour when I updated my complete infrastructure last week. I opened a case and my support-engineer completely understood what was the issue.

I also removed all old components and then realized my infrastructure was broken. In my case it was weird because I found some of the components with version 9.0 or first release of 9.5 so they never got updated before.

Solution: Just klick through all servers under backup infrastructure and then right klick properties, the Veeam installer service will be reinstalled an all servers again just with clicking through the wizard.
A rescan alone is not enough. For the deployment service do the same under inventory and try to manually deploy a agent or generate a now group, the system then realizes that the deployment service is missing or not up to date and installs the current version.
In my case everything worked after clicking through the wizard and all components are up to date now.

Greetings!
best regards,

Martin
COCONET - we connect everything

Veeam VCSP | Microsoft SPLA, CSP | Lenovo | QNAP | Synology | 3CX | HPE | Snom