Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

v11 oddity - change compression popup?

Post by ChuckS42 »

Just upgraded to v11, and noticed that whenever I edit a job I get a popup suggesting I change the job's Compression setting to "Optimal", even though ExaGrid's recommendation is "Dedupe Friendly" (just verified that with our ExaGrid engineer). I say "no" to the nice message, but it keeps popping up the next time I edit a job. Seems like a bug - that popup should happen once, and respect my choice to say "No".
Veeaming since 2013
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: v11 oddity - change compression popup?

Post by Gostev »

There was a change in ExaGrid best practice with V11, this is documented in the What's New document. Since V11 has been out for just 2 weeks, ExaGrid engineers are simply not aware yet.
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 »

They are definitely aware; had a long conversation with my ExaGrid support engineer on the subject just today. I'm not concerned over the change of recommendations, I'm more concerned about the never-ending popup message. The only way to make it go away permanently (I assume) is to allow it to make the change it suggests (which I'm not ready/willing to do just now).
Veeaming since 2013
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Chuck, we're going to change the behavior to accept Dedupe-friendly as a recommended setting along with the Optimal compression level. This will occur in one of the upcoming updates.
topop1970
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tommy Popovic

[MERGED] V11 Upgrade Heads Up - Exagrid

Post by topop1970 »

Working for ExaGrid I have a few customer who have upgraded to V11 with the implication that deduplication did not work at all afterwards.

Normally when upgrading Veeam all settings and configuration are inherited thus no changes needs to be done.

But upgrading to V11 you get asked if you want to change the compression setting. Several customers just click "yes" guessing it must be something good and in most cases it is. But when running an appliance with deduplication or more specifically our appliances then the duplication gets messed up.

Do not know why this was changed in V11 but sure there it was a good reason for it. But for those running Exagrid and are about to upgrade if not already done so then do not click "yes" when asked to change the compression setting.

Just want ExaGrid customers to pay attention to this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Tommy, please see above - please advise your customers to apply the latest cumulative patch and change the compression back to dedupe-friendly level.
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 »

Thank you for making this change!
Veeaming since 2013