Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

V11a upgrade issue with VBO365 on the same machine

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I just downloaded the V11a upgrade and ran into an upgrade issue on my lab machine. My lab machine contains VBR and Office 365 backup.

Halfway the upgrade I got an error that the Exchange Explorers required a minimum of the v10a console or Veeam Backup for Office 365 5d. Setup continued, but failed at the end. When I restarted the setup, I got an error that I have an incomplete installation and need to completely uninstall VBR first and then restart setup.

I used the Office 365 backup console to check for an upgrade, bit it reported that the installation was up-to-date. Then I Googled for Office 365 5d and found out that it was released yesterday. I installed that update first and then restarted the V11a setup (after uninstalling the failed install first) and then it completed successfully.

I have to comments about this:
- Before V11a setup starts it doesn't do a check for this pre-requisite. So if you don't have 5d of Office 365 backup installed, setup continues, but fails halfway and renders the Veeam installation unusable and you have to completely uninstall it first.
- The error reports that you need to install Veeam backup for Office 365 5d, but in the about menu item of Office 365 backup you can't see that you are running 5c or 5d, you only see build numbers.
- Checking for an update of Office 365 backup it reports the installation is up-to-date while in fact it isn't.

Franc.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Re: V11a upgrade issue with VBO365 on the same machine

Post by m.novelli »

Subscribe the thread, I endorse all your points
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Franc,

First, thanks for the feedback.

Next, from the VBO side:
- The error message text should have included the build number indeed; apologies for this inconvenience. For now (and this may help in the future on different occasions), there're several resources where you can get the full information on VBO builds and versions:
Forum topic: post218411.html#p218411
KB with the builds reference: https://www.veeam.com/kb4106
and the release information KB, which in this case is https://www.veeam.com/kb4203

- We always take about a week delay after any release before activating auto-updates. This is intentional to verify that no unexpected issues occur and the build is good to go. I expect VBO 5d to be delivered as an update in the next few days.

Hope it makes sense.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

you're welcome! Since you are in the early release state I just wanted to point out these issues before GA. The error message you get is also a bit strange since it states that you have to install the VBR console v10 or higher or VBO 5d, but the console of V11 was already installed, however it was uninstalled by setup itself during the update before the error message.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 180 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Just run into the same issue and I'd also vote for compatibility check before the setup starts. Since VBO exists I always had this topic, especially with the explorers and it would be nice if these two products work together nicely on the same machine.

Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 2 people like this post

RnD is on it. The issue will be fixed in the GA build.

Thanks!