Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
G_Mellor
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gary Mellor

V12.1 SureBackup Application Group - Auto disable firewall option missing

Post by G_Mellor »

I had some SureReplica jobs configured while using Veeam 11. Veeam was upgraded to v12.1 last week, and I'm just going through checking in on the SureReplica jobs.

I'd seen that v12 added a "Automatically disable Windows Firewall" option, so was keen to try it out - however this option is no where to be seen in the Application Group / Machines / <VM> / Edit / Verification Settings / Startup Options dialogue box.

In the Verification Settings / Startup Options dialogue there's no "Windows firewall section" and no "Automatically disable Windows Firewall" option to tick. Effectively the Startup Options dialogue box looks just like it's v11, and not v12. I confirmed and we're definitely running v12.1.1.56. The Application Group / Machines dialogue has up / down buttons with arrows and not "Move Up" / "Move Down", so the dialogue boxes here otherwise look like they should in v12. ie comparing the Userguide screenshots provided in v12 (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120) and v11 (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... ts_vm.html) and the Up/Down buttons are v12, but the disable firewall section is missing.

I tried creating a new Application Group in case there was some oddity that you needed to create it afresh, but there's still no option to disable Windows Firewall.

If I swing over to the SureBackup Job configuration itself, configure a Linked Job and go into the Advanced options to set up boot verification options for VMs within the Linked Job, the "Automatically disable Windows Firewall" option is there all fine.

What am I missing - what logic is there that shows or hides this option in the Application Group? If there's some deliberate logic hiding it, it would be better to grey out the option and give a info tooltip to show why it's not available.

Cheers, Gary.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: V12.1 SureBackup Application Group - Auto disable firewall option missing

Post by Mildur »

Hi Gary

"Automatically disable Windows Firewall" only works for verifying backups. Replicas are currently not supported for this option. The initial plan was to greyed out and leave a message, but then it was decided to remove it from the UI.

I will talk to our user guide team to document this limitation for replicas.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
G_Mellor
Novice

Post by G_Mellor »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for confirming it's working as designed. It's a shame that it's not an option for Replica backed VMs and that the limitation wasn't documented anywhere considering the decision to not explain in the dialogue box itself.

Do you know if it's a technical limitation holding it back, or if there's a chance it could find it's way in to a future release to give feature parity between SureBackup and SureReplica jobs?

Cheers,
Gary.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gary

Thanks. I got more information from our team.
There were technical issues while implementing it for Replica testing and we decided to delay it to a future version.
Unfortunately we cannot share an ETA or targeted version yet.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
G_Mellor
Novice

Post by G_Mellor »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, Gary.