Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevea123
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Steve Allen

V12 upgrade: Veeam Installer Service not updated

Post by stevea123 »

Just performed B&R Upgrade from Version 11 to V12.
On the main console PC all expected Veeam services have been updated.
On a secondary repo PC, I notice that the Veeam Installer Service remains at 11.0.1.1264.
However, the Backup Transport, vPowerNFS & Mount service have all been updated to 12.0.0.1422.
These services were updated via Veeam B&R console upon initial run following the upgrade.

Can I leave as is or perhaps a manual upgrade is required ?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: V12 upgrade: Veeam Installer Service not updated

Post by PetrM »

Hi Steve and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

It would be best to ask our support team, they can have a closer look at your infrastructure and analyze debug logs if required. Our possibility to work on technical issues over the forum posts is very limited and I'd avoid giving any recommendations without a clear understanding of the problem.

Thanks!
stevea123
Novice

Post by stevea123 » 4 people like this post

Resolved by advice from Veeam support. Should it help anyone else, I pass on the info.....
It is best practice to keep latest version of services in your Veeam components.
Hence, we would recommend you to manually re-install Installer services on your repository.

As your repository is a windows machine, then you can uninstall installer services directly from control panel.
And then go through properties of repository and this will reinstall installer service.
> Navigate to backup infrastructure > backup repository > right click and select properties\edit > keep clicking on next and finish.
Followed this and now the Veeam Installer Service @ 12.0.0.1420 :-)
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 326 times

Post by david.domask » 2 people like this post

Hi All,

@stevea123, glad that Support was able to help.

For others in the thread, I want to amend the statement that Steve got from Support; nothing is wrong about it, but an additional detail is important: The VeeamDeploymentSvc (Installer Service) that shows in Add/Remove Programs (appwiz for short) actually is not so relevant; what matters is the DLL file found at C:\windows\Veeam\Backup.

The actual service itself has not changed in some years, and it's the DLL that matters when it comes to your backup operations. The Installer Service itself showing as an older version is not an issue, and in many cases, the service doesn't get updated as it's not really doing anything "new" with each version; only the DLL referenced does the heavy lifting.

So you can consider the service itself showing an older version as cosmetic for the most part, and follow Steve's steps if desired, but the DLL is the only part that matters.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
stevea123
Novice

Post by stevea123 »

Thank you for the clarification :-)