Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
meier
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Holger Meier

v5 Replication excluded Disks

Post by meier »

Hi,
the check box "Remove excluded disks from VM configuration" for a replication job is disabled (grayed out) in version v5. Now the configuration file (. vmx) always adapted.
Our entire concept of replication is thus destroyed. So far, we have the VMs once replicated and then excluded certain disks in the following jobs.
Did any of you solved this problem?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: v5 Replication excluded Disks

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Holger,

This checkbox was disabled due to the fact that replicated VMs will not start if you do not modify VMX file. However, if you do not want to modify VMX file (e.g. you have independent disks on a shared datastore that you want to present to a replicated VM), then this wouldn't work.

As far as I know you have already raised a support ticket with our technical team and I'm sure we'll be able to assist you with the current situation.

Thank you!
meier
Influencer

Post by meier »

Hello Vitaly,
thanks for the answer. But in v4 it works very very fine!!!
When I have a solution, i write the answer here in the forum.
Thanks !!!
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Post by vertices »

Ok so we have the same problem. In V4, we put all the page files for VMs on a separate disk and excluded this disk from replication. Then we made a 1 time copy of this disk to the DR site so it would be available if we had to failover. Lastly, we set the the option to not remove the non-replicated disks from VM config.

We tested it and it worked great. This allowed us to never ever replicate the page file, but still have the page file disk available for a failover without having to reconfigure anything.

Now Veeam has taken away this functionality. How are we supposed to accomplish this now?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Rob, you need to contact our technical team for the solution. As far as I know it is possible to enable this checkbox via SQL script. Thank you.
meier
Influencer

Post by meier »

Hello,
im testing the sql-script from the technical support and it works fine.
Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

In addition, we have enabled the checkbox back in 5.0.2. This change was not fully intentional - it was disabled by developer by mistake, without realizing the above use case that I myself have been promoting past year on this very forum (and I did not spot this change up until now). Sorry about any inconvenience this may have caused.
VER
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Wouter

Post by VER »

Anton,

Can you give in indication regarding the release of 5.0.2? I would like to use the same principle as described above. Currently I manually have to add the excluded disks before I'm able to start the VM's.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ver, you don't need to wait for 5.0.2 release, just contact our support team for the SQL script that enables this checkbox. Thanks!