Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcwill
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Iain McWilliams

Re: V5 VBK file names

Post by mcwill »

John,

Thanks for the suggestions, however whilst we are using rsync to perform the remote replication - it is built into the QNAP NAS and only offers limited control over rsync (specify source folder & destination folder and not much else!).

Hence the reason why we have been eagerly awaiting this update.

Iain
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

We're in the same boat (QNAP to QNAP). Just got the hotfix and running the first incremental. Doesn't look to have changed the name yet -> I'm hoping its not just for new backup jobs...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Andrew, the hotfix provided will change a VBK name after a Full run only.
Bunce
Veteran

Post by Bunce »

Which is a Active Full Backup for reverse-incrementals isn't it?
Gostev wrote:Specifically, changing VBK naming behavior affects two things:

1. Performing active (real) full backup manually or on schedule messes up backup set. The hotfix will disable active fulls altogether when this registry key is enabled, to make sure no one can initiate active full accidentally.
I've just set the existing job to run an Active Full Backup on Tuesday's (today) and am running a backup now... Doesn't seem to be changing the name?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Bunce wrote:Which is a Active Full Backup for reverse-incrementals isn't it?
Yes, that's correct.
Bunce wrote:I've just set the existing job to run an Active Full Backup on Tuesday's (today) and am running a backup now... Doesn't seem to be changing the name?
Have you restarted Veeam service after applying the registry key? If everything was done according to the instructions, I believe it's better to have our technical team take a look at it.
Bunce
Veteran

Post by Bunce »

No probs - just tried it on another job and it worked fine.

I think maybe because I'd already run an incremental today on the first job (before changing the settings to run an Active Full today), that it doesn't pick up the change when running it again? I'll set that job to do an Active Full tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks,
A
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not sure it should be affected, but please update us on how it worked for you tomorrow.
chad5k1
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by chad5k1 »

How can i get the registry key
I've just realised that it is this that has caused all our replication pains since the upgrade to v5!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You can get it via support.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

I would love to have an ability to set naming schema, at least partially. If i could have the names with a particular string - it would make our backup file off-siting a lot easier since then we could filter based on the name than trying a lot more complex scripts looking at creation date.

Maybe something where we can inject a distinct, separate strings into full and incremental.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yuki wrote:I would love to have an ability to set naming schema, at least partially. If i could have the names with a particular string - it would make our backup file off-siting a lot easier since then we could filter based on the name than trying a lot more complex scripts looking at creation date.
Please clarify this, because I do not fully understand your request. We do actually allow configuring "base" backup file name in UI today already...
Yuki wrote:Maybe something where we can inject a distinct, separate strings into full and incremental.
Hmm, so how come different file extensions do not work for you today? File extension is arguably easiest possible method of distinguishing full and incremental backup files, am I not right?
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Post by Yuki »

Please clarify this, because I do not fully understand your request. We do actually allow configuring "base" backup file name in UI today already...
Maybe I've missed where this is adjusted - can you point me to the right location?
Hmm, so how come different file extensions do not work for you today? File extension is arguably easiest possible method of distinguishing full and incremental backup files, am I not right?
If i keep 4 full (made on Sundays) and the rest incrementals - Simply filtering for VBK in order to copy latest files for off-siting will fetch me 4 files. Actually, having the ability to put week1 (full+incremental) in one folder then week2 in another and so on would be even more useful.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Backup Destination step of backup job wizard, backup file name editbox (pre-populated by job name by default).
gwhite
Novice
Full Name: Greg White

Post by gwhite »

Gostev wrote:rsync backup is not a problem, it can be configured to write into the same target file, I attached sample shell script that selects the latest VBK and copies it over to the existing VBK file on target.

Tape backup is not a problem either, see backup naming when using reversed incremental. But the benefit is that now you can actually see by file name of backup stored on tape or elsewhere when it was taken... while previously, you would have dozens of file with the same name...
Gostev,

Could you perhaps explain in a bit more detail how to implement your shell script?

Thanks!

G
A3_h
Novice
Full Name: Adrie van der Heiden

Post by A3_h »

Is there someone arround that converted Gostev's offsite_rsync.sh linux script to a Windows version? Or build a version wich is working with the new naming standaard. I am now using the reg hack provided bij the support but they are not supporting it.. :-(
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Adrie, you can use this example (on the second page of this thread) to adapt it to your needs.
withanh
Veteran
Full Name: Darhl

Legacy file naming with v6?

Post by withanh »

[merged]

Is the legacy file naming no longer supported with v6? I experimented with changing some backups from reversed incremental to normal incremental and decided to go back to reversed. Now some of my jobs are not honoring the legacy file naming.

I checked the registry key and it is still present.

Thanks!

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The key is still supported in v6. Switching to forward incrementals and back could be the reason of the issue. Need to test, but seems like the key affects newly created jobs only (so it does not apply to existing jobs switched from forward incrementals).
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

That's interesting.
Veeam Support wrote:From: Veeam Software [mailto:support@veeam.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:56 AM
To: Darhl Thomason
Subject: RE: [ID#5184265] Legacy file naming not working for some jobs

Hi,

Full backups created in version 6 no longer work with that registry edit. It was exclusive to version 5.

Regards,
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

I have since rebooted the server and run a full backup and it did revert back to legacy naming. The only big problem here is one of my backup sets is 1.6TiB and I don't have enough space to store a second full copy so I've gotta delete my current backup and run another full and hope that things don't crap out during the time I don't have a full backup on hand.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Regarding the support tech's answer, I guess he just confused this key with the other one, used when VBK file is missing.
b4bol4t
Novice
Full Name: Tony

onsite and offsite backup

Post by b4bol4t »

[merged]

Hi,

I am strugling with the following:
A customer would like to have a backup repository onsite and then replicate this repository to the(offsite) remote site(WAN).

Options:1 robocopy,2 second backup job, 3 rsync

From what I have been reading on this forum is that nr1 is not capable of sending Delta's.
Nr2 is not an option because of the backup window.(and Backups are not equal)
Nr 3 is, but I don't seem to get it working the way it should. Because the file names keep changing and the whole .VBK is sent each time.
I use this command:

Code: Select all

rsync -v -rlt --chmod=a=rw,Da+x --stats --progress --log-file=/cygdrive/c/test2/rsynclog.txt "/cygdrive/z/Backup Job 1/" /cygdrive/c/test2/
I also tried this regedit:
http://up2v.nl/category/veeam-solutions/
2. Create DWORD = DisableVBKRename

But I am affraid this does not work anymorge in version 6.
Because the names keep changing after creating the key.

Am I right or am I doing something wrong :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: onsite and offsite backup

Post by foggy »

b4bol4t wrote:But I am affraid this does not work anymorge in version 6.
Because the names keep changing after creating the key.
Tony, have you performed a new full backup for this job after specifying the key? This key takes effect after a full run only.
b4bol4t
Novice

Post by b4bol4t »

I performed an active full. At the moment í'm trying a new job.
b4bol4t
Novice

Post by b4bol4t »

It looks like it's working now, the backup vbk name is the name of the job.vbk.
What are the consequences? Is only 1 full backup possible this manner?
I used reversed incremental this time.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

With reversed incremental mode, you always have only one full backup at each moment in time.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

I believe if you run an "active full" then the synthetic full will roll down through your retention period prior to dropping off. This may give you multiple full .vbk files even with reverse incrementals.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Valid point. The only difference is that in cases where the registry key is implemented, the date/time stamp is appended to the name of the old VBK file on creating an active full and the new (active) VBK still gets the <job_name>.vbk name.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Thanks for clarifying. That exactly describes the behavior I see.
b4bol4t
Novice

Post by b4bol4t »

I still get changing vbk names when using forward incrementals, any idea why this happends? ( I selected create synth fulls daily )