Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jkcouch
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Couch

V6 GUI "Not Responding" Issue

Post by jkcouch »

Support Case ID - 5162969 (active case)

Our backup server which currently houses roughly 77 jobs (12 proxies) hangs stating its "not responding" roughly every 10 seconds. I was curious if anyone else has had this issue. SQL server is loaded on a separate server due to cpu/ram resource consumption.

It almost seems to be coupled with a screen refresh process. This happens both with all the jobs are running and when none of the jobs are running.

Has anyone else seen this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: V6 GUI "Not Responding" Issue

Post by Gostev »

Have not heard yet, but yes - this very likely has something to deal with SQL (slow to respond, ineffective query, etc.) - let's see what devs have to say.
soehl
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Sebastian

Post by soehl »

We have sometimes also such symptoms, with 1 backup console, 4 proxy and around 30 jobs with around 700 vms.
The backup console runs on a vm with 4 cpus and 8 gb of ram with no signs of performance problems.
The SQL database runs on separately on a MS SQL cluster along with other dbs, but i doesn´t see any heavy load.

I don´t opened support call yet, so it would be nice if you can post the answer/workaround/solution from the support.

Thanks. :)
jkcouch
Enthusiast

Post by jkcouch »

soehl - still waiting on support to reply. I will follow up with them on Monday/Tuesday. This is a consistant issue for us.
jkcouch
Enthusiast

Post by jkcouch »

Working with support today on this case we have rulled out the following:

1. Not a remote sql issue. We moved the sql instance to the veeam server.
2. Not an accout name issue (was thought to be since we use a "~" in our veeam service account name)

We are waiting on Tier 3 now for a time slot to get this looked at. Hope we can get it going before they take off on holiday for the beining of 2013.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jkcouch wrote:Hope we can get it going before they take off on holiday for the beining of 2013.
My gut feeling tells me that you will definitely get this resolved before 2013 :D
jkcouch
Enthusiast

Post by jkcouch »

HA! Good catch! We better fix it by 2013... Not enough sleep here. I dont even know what year it is anymore! :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Same here... I kept labeling my pictures with "VMworld 2010" until someone told me few days ago it was really "VMworld 2011" ;)
Anyway, regarding the issue, it start to sound more and more like some non-optimal SQL query, so I had raised this with the devs.
jkcouch
Enthusiast

Post by jkcouch »

Thanks for raising it with the developers! I am having issues getting a tier 3 engineer to look at it before the holiday. I am seeing it in my test env as well as prod. Test is not as severe as prod, but likely because it has 1/3 of the jobs. I'm open thurs/fri to work on it if you can find someone who wants to look. My contact info is on the case.
toabama
Influencer
Full Name: Tobias Åman

Veeam v6 GUI i slow and flickering

Post by toabama »

[merged]

Hi

Recently we upgraded our Veeam v5 backup server to v6. After the upgrade there have been several issues etc. and a few have been solved.
Although the backup jobs are running every night and it mostly finish with good result.
But i wonder is there any other user in this forum that have a slow and sometimes flickering GUI :?:

Even when no backup job is running the GUI is slow, sometimes it takes several seconds when i click on somthing and it gets marked or opens. Sometimes the dialog box hides and suddenly appears again.
The only error message i see is sometimes that a ROW cannot be updated.

The server (HP DL 385 G7 12cores, 8GB RAM) is fast enough and we also host the VeeamBackup DB in a SQL cluster.
We have also applied the first patch that came before christmas.

BR
Tobias
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jeff and Tobias, as far as I know (cannot double check because of the holidays), the issue has been confirmed with databases having large amount of objects, and the hotfix is in the works. As always, I recommend opening a support case to be notified on hotfix availability. Thanks!
toabama
Influencer
Full Name: Tobias Åman

Post by toabama »

thanks, i'll open a support case on this!
jkcouch
Enthusiast

Post by jkcouch »

I wanted to provide an update to this thread. As Anton stated above, we worked with support and development to get a patched version of the UI.dll It resolved all the UI freezing up issues we had. Please contact support to have the issue looked into.
htwnrva
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ronny

Post by htwnrva »

I have had a case open with support for a couple weeks now for this. They state that a fix is not available yet. Ticket # 5169566. It's extremely difficult to work within the product although it does not affect backups.
htwnrva
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ronny

Issue 19 UI Bug in v6

Post by htwnrva »

[merged]

If I had known how frustratingly bad this bug is I would not have upgraded to v6 yet. What sucks is you don't see it when you do your test server with 5 or 10 jobs. But now that I've migrated 30+ jobs over to the server the UI is nearly unusuable. While I can do a lot of stuff via powershell it's still amazing that we don't have a fix after 3+ months.

I'd highly recommend that if you have a large environment (30+ jobs), to wait for them to fix this and save yourself the trouble. And yes I've had a ticket open for weeks now. Support says that there is no fix but another customer speaks of an updated UI.DLL in this post: http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9925

Venting because I have to update about 15 jobs to edit and powershell doesn't seem to be working so it's going to take me all night to do this.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hotfix for this issue is on its way and should be available very soon.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Vitaliy, do you have any idea on the minimum number of jobs to see the error? Because we have in house about 10-15 cuncurrent jobs and the GUI runs fine.
Total job count is higher but not scheduled at the same time.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well..based on the feedback from this thread, I would say it can be observed if you have around 50 jobs (maybe less).

If your GUI runs fine, there is nothing to worry about ;)
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

You're right, but since our infrastructure is growing, I will be safer to install the patch "before" reaching 30-40 cuncurrent jobs :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1