Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tabrez@ajmalksa.com
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tabrez Shaikh

Re: v6 Offsite Replication : Seeding How To

Post by tabrez@ajmalksa.com »

I gone through the user guide and have certain queries. As far as backup proxies and repositories are concerned in our main site my veeam backup server is only backup proxy server and backup repository is my NAS box but on DR site what will be backup proxy?

Thanks for the procedure but i have a bit doubt in 3rd point after creating backup files i'm moving the NAS box (other than the production NAS box) but where to place that (i mean where is the DR site repository to be created and looking at your 4th point it seems i need to access Veeam server there really bit confused?

If possible can u just mentioned the above points along with where it needs to be executed. Thanks a lot for your quick responses.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

tabrez@ajmalksa.com wrote:As far as backup proxies and repositories are concerned in our main site my veeam backup server is only backup proxy server and backup repository is my NAS box but on DR site what will be backup proxy?
You need to deploy a VM or you can use any existing physical machine in order to use it as proxy server.

Take a look at our sticky architecture overview: >>> READ FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<
tabrez@ajmalksa.com wrote:Thanks for the procedure but i have a bit doubt in 3rd point after creating backup files i'm moving the NAS box (other than the production NAS box) but where to place that (i mean where is the DR site repository to be created and looking at your 4th point it seems i need to access Veeam server there really bit confused?
You need to create a repository on the DR site as it is written in the UG (page 77), then attach your NAS box to it and proceed to step 4.
tabrez@ajmalksa.com
Influencer

OK then i'll deploy VM with windows XP at DR Site on local DAS but do i need to install veeam b&r for enabling proxy (how to enable proxy server on my xp system) and my second question is it ok to use my existing Veeam backup server at main site as source proxy.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You do not need to install additional Veeam console in DR. Just create a new proxy server in your primary console and point it to the new XP box.
It is ok to use the default proxy as a source one, just be sure this server provides required performance and the backup load you are going to assign to it corresponds to its resources. Thanks.
tabrez@ajmalksa.com
Influencer

this means that i need to create new XP box (in my case i'll create virtual machine) at DR site and creating new proxy server on my main site Veeam console and just point it that XP box is it?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct.
tabrez@ajmalksa.com
Influencer

I have created backup proxy server, while creating DR repository at last window there is an option to import backup from repository do i need to check that or not required. Kindly clarify
tabrez@ajmalksa.com
Influencer

One more query while creating replication job, in destination do i have to add my destination host server onto VC because while clicking Choose button i'm not getting destination server. Shall i add my destination server onto VC and choose that in destination tab of replication job. Kindly clarify
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

If you want to immediately import all backup files which are already located in the selected location, then you can select that checkbox. In any case, checking it will not "brake" anything. However, selecting it is not required - the seeding step-by-step process listed earlier in this topic is self-sufficient.

The destination server has to be registered with Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure, either by adding it to B&R console as a standalone host, or as a part of the same or other vCenter. Kindly please do not derail this topic with unrelated questions - feel free to create a separate topic if you want to discuss anything other than seeding.
tabrez@ajmalksa.com
Influencer

I follow all the above steps but still seeding is failing, where i should check now?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I would suggest to contact our support guys and have them set up a webex session with you to find out what you are doing wrong here. This would be the quickest way to resolve this.
mwant
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: m want

Post by mwant »

Does the initial seed backup have to match the selection of the replica job?

I currently backup 6 VM's but only want to replicate 4 of them, can I use the main backup of the 6 to seed the replication job for the 4? This will mean that I don't have to create and run a seperate job.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No, the seed's content does not have to match the replication job. Sure, you can do that.
admcomputing
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: ADM Computing Ltd

Re: Offsite Replication V6 Preparation

Post by admcomputing »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Here is the procedure you should follow:

1. Configure a backup job for the VM you want to perform initial seeding for.
2. Create and choose any local repository for the backup files.
3. Once you have backup files created, move them to a DR site and place them on the DR site repository (you should create it beforehand).
4. Scan DR site repository to populate backup files in the backup console.
5. After that just create a replication job with "Low connection bandwidth" checkbox enabled.
6. On the "Seeding" step of the replication job wizard specify DR site repository where you've placed VM backup files.
7. Finish configuration of replication job wizard and start replication job.

Hope this helps!
Done this, works a treat!
I then ran a "Start Job" on the replication job which completed successfully.
Can I now edit the replication job to remove the seed settings, then remove the backup repository that I used for the initial seeding to free up disk space :?:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this shouldn't break your replication job.
integrated Systems
Influencer
Full Name: Mike Walker

Post by integrated Systems »

I have a question. And it may have just been a typo.
I am trying to do the same scenario. I have a 3 ESX host setup with 3 Veeam backup servers at my primary site and would like to backup to a DR site. I have deployed another ESX server for the DR site (it is currently still physically located at my primary site so that I can seed it) on this DR site ESX server I have installed a Windows 2008 VM and have created enough disk space on it for my backups. I have added this 2008 VM to my Veeam Backup servers as Backup Proxies and Backup Repositories and I am currently running a backup job to it for seeding. What confused me was line 5 of the following segment. It says to create a replication job. My question is: Won't I need a Veeam license for the CPU Sockets at the DR site if I want to "Replicate" to that site as opposed to just doing "backup" jobs to a Windows VM at the DR site?

Vitaliy S. wrote:Here is the procedure you should follow:

3. Once you have backup files created, move them to a DR site and place them on the DR site repository (you should create it beforehand).
5. After that just create a replication job with "Low connection bandwidth" checkbox enabled.
6. On the "Seeding" step of the replication job wizard specify DR site repository where you've placed VM backup files.

Hope this helps!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mike, VBR licenses source host sockets (where the actual VMs you backup or replicate reside) only. This is covered in the sticky FAQ topic. Thanks.
Q: How the product is licensed?
A: Per physical CPU socket of "source" hypervisor host where processed virtual machines reside. Destination hosts (for replication, and migration jobs) do not need to be licensed.
integrated Systems
Influencer

Thank you very much. I have one more question. In the Replication job setup wizard it is asking me to select a "repository for replica metadata" which is the best selection to make for a DR site replica? The local repository (C drive of my VEEAM backup server) or the remote repository (c drive of the windows VM at the DR site)

Thanks
Mike
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The description above at this step is telling you that the backup repository should be located closer to the source. ;)
integrated Systems
Influencer

Yes I did that for the initial seed files but I am wondering after I move the seed to the DR site I have the option of where the "metadata repository" should reside
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This comes in right after moving the seed to DR. Placing the metadata in the remote site will slow down the replication process as the source agent would have to pull it over WAN. Depending on the metadata size and the link speed, it could affect the replication time significantly.
integrated Systems
Influencer

Post by integrated Systems » 1 person likes this post

Perfect,

Thanks
Mike
btn003
Enthusiast
Full Name: Bjørn-Tore

Off-Site Replication tutorial

Post by btn003 »

[merged]

Hi -

Is there any tutorial on how to setup a Off-Site replication over WAN link?
I could not find any.

I wonder how to setup a proxie server, must Veeam be installed on both main and DR site, must there be a VPN tunnel between sites, etc.

Please advice.

Bjørn.
joemagjr
Influencer
Full Name: joemagjr

Post by joemagjr »

Is there any reason to NOT have the backup repository be a VM in the DR site for seeding purposes or does it even matter?
thanks in advance everyone.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

reading the User Guide at page 47:
The backup repository is deployed closer to the source host – so the source-side agent can easily communicate with the agent hosted on the repository to obtain metadata required for incremental job runs
It does not have to be deployed in the DR site. Here in DR you need a backup proxy.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
joemagjr
Influencer

Post by joemagjr »

Yes, i understand that, I was just trying to stay with the post topic. I am currently seeding so that I can send my VM's to my DR site and create my new replication jobs following vitaliy's simple process below. I have a backup repository running at the production site as a physical box, I also have 2 proxies running as vm's at the production side for my daily vm backups. I have configured a third proxy that will run at the DR site for my replication purposes. I need to create a repository at the DR site to place my backed up vm's for seeding. So my question is can this repository that sits at the DR site be a VM? I have not been able to locate that information in the documentaion.
admcomputing wrote:Vitaliy S. wrote:
Here is the procedure you should follow:

Hope this helps!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Ah, ok, I see.
Uhm, I think it does not matters, I will go for the fastest option, whatever it is. If you have a phyisical windows server at DR, it will be easy to connect the removable storage you bring from Production site, install Veeam agent and do the seeding.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

joemagjr wrote:So my question is can this repository that sits at the DR site be a VM? I have not been able to locate that information in the documentaion.
Yes, for sure.
joemagjr
Influencer

Post by joemagjr »

Thanks so much for the reply,

Once I complete my seeding process, can I remove the repository from the DR site, or does it now need to stay as part of the process?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, backup files are no longer needed once you've performed initial replication.