Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v7 Backup Copy Job removable media (rotated drives)

Post by foggy »

Need to check. As far as I remember, similar issue was already reported for an ordinary backup job, support should investigate.
awex
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nigel Stewart

Post by awex »

OK, thanks Foggy, my ordinary backup jobs are notifying OK via global options, will give Backup Copy Jobs a test by setting the notification in the job itself.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, you might want to check the state of backup copy job prior to swaping the drives. If the state is equal “idle”, it means that backup copy job is doing nothing in the moment and you can disable it and change the drives. From my perspective, in case of PS something like this should work fine:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$BackupCopyJob = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of backup Job"
If ($BackupCopyJob.GetLastState() -eq "Idle")
{
$BackupCopyJob.DisableScheduler()
} 

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

bctirado wrote:Just wanted to loop back around on this, does the ForceCreateMissingVBK work or not as it relates to the Copy Job target? I called support and they said it doesn't apply to Copy Jobs. Anyway just wanted to clear it up and see if I was missing something. Ultimate goal is to be able to swap the Copy Job target.
Brian, the key works with backup copy jobs in the same manner it does with ordinary backup jobs. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

For future readers of this thread, please take a look at this post - Veeam 7 Copy Job - Transform
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Post by zak2011 »

The problem of not being able to see the RDX drive within Veeam was actually not a problem from Veeam. When adding the backup repo after connecting the RDX drive, I had to go to Microsoft Windows repository and choose ' This server' and instead of trying to populate the volumes from the same window,I needed to hit Next and then Choose the path to the RDX drive. Then Veeam was able to see the repository.
Thanks for the help provided from support in trying to figure this out.
Apart from this, I have added the regsitry key hack, however I get the following error also while copying to the RDX drive

9/12/2013 1:01:42 AM :: Error: Failed to find last point in backup 5eb1fcd2-c49c-4959-88c6-29f3b617276b.

Again, I may not have restarted the Veeam backup server after the regsitry hack. I tried running the offsite job again after rebooting the Veeam server.
Could the error above be because the Veeam server was not restarted after the registry setting?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, could be, as you need to restart Veeam service after setting new parameters to the registry config.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Just would like to confirm one thing. When running Backup Copy Jobs to RDX disks which are rotated daily, is it sufficient to use ForceKey VBK registry key and restart the Veeam services. Once this is done, then Veeam shouldnt be asking for a last point in backup when rotating disks, since a VBK will be created on each disk, isnt it?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Eery time the RDX drive is rotated daily and Veeam tries to backup to the RDX drive, the same error Message comes up.

Error: Failed to find last point in backup 9be3a3b0-6531-4faf-9949-d90f350c9590 and then after the next retry the job succeeds.

I have not configured Backup copy jobs in this case, but a full backup to go to the RDX drive daily since it is just one VM to be backed up.
I have also used the registry key hack and restarted the Veeam services however Veeam still seems to be looking for the last point in backup.
Is there something I have missed?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

So, are you getting this error with an ordinary backup job (not backup copy job) and the key applied?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you confirm that you have applied that key to the correct registry hive?
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

@foggy- Thats correct. I am getting this error just by configuring a full backup job and not doing a backup copy job to the RDX drive after the key applied.
@Vitaliy- Yes. The key was applied under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE- Veeam- Veeam Backup and Replication.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I suggest asking support for assistance in reviewing your configuration and defining the reason of the failure.
BjoernS
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bjoern

[MERGED] Backup Copy Job to changing external HDD

Post by BjoernS »

Hi,

we want to use the Backup Copy job to copy Backups to multiple external HDDs.
There should only one HDD at a time connected to the backup maschine and we would like to
change them on a daily basis.
In our first tests we get the following error:

Processing 'FA-DC1' Error: Client error: File does not exist. File: [\\backuphdd\veeambackup\externe Kopie\externe Kopie2013-09-26T000000.vbk]. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].

Is it possible to get an vbk file every day on the external HDDs when we change the drives?

Thanks!

Bjoern
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please review this thread for the procedure on implementing rotated drives scenario for the backup copy job.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Unfortunately I am getting the same error Error: Client error: Agent: Failed to process method {Stg.OpenReadWrite}: File not found.
Have created the registry key unders Wow64node and rebooted the Veeam Server.
One set of backup copy jobs are scheduled to go to an External Drive and once I connected the drive and started the jobs I got the above error.
Am I missing anything esle here? Had to clone each of the backup copy jobs and start again.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I have no further ideas. Perhaps it would be best to open a support case at this stage.

The issue might very well be specific to RDX, in which case we would need to work with Tandberg directly to resolve this for you. Should not be a problem, as we have an excellent working relationship between the companies, and this product is strategically important to them, as far as I know.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Thanks Gostev. Actually I am doing the backup copy jobs to a Western Digital 4TB external drive and it failed.
I have opened a case for this.

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, let me know if you don't get this resolved in a timely manner, and I will push this from my side. Thanks!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Thanks for that. Hopefully this will be resolved soon!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 » 1 person likes this post

Update from support
the ForceCreateMissingVBK key was created in both locations Wow6432 node and as well the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE- Software- Veeam- Veeam Backup and Replication node and services were restarted.
As a test a backup copy job was created and then it was deleted from the exisiting external drive. The job was enabled again and it starts to copy the vbk from the source.
However, it was observed that if a vib also gets copied along with the vbk file on the external drive, the issue recurrs .
But as a workaround, support has suggested that a post job script in powershell can be added to the job, so that once the drive is rotated, the script will check to see if any exisiting vibs were created on the disk or in the database. If so, that will be deleted and only vbk files will be copied. Once I get hold of the script I can share it on the forums.
I am really looking forward to see this being resolved so that I can use backup copy jobs without any issues.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is actually a known behavior of the registry key that was already discussed on the forums (and you can also find some scripts suggested by other users there).
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

That was the script which support was trying to put in..however it seems it needs further modification as per the support.
I was told I would be given the modified script as the one which Tom has put in wouldnt work for me.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Great, hope they will be able to come up with the one that will work for you.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Why wouldn't it work? What specific issue did you have? I'm more than willing to enhance it.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

HiTom,
The Veeam system engineer tried running the script and said the script would work only for local drive and in my case since i was use a different external drive at the end of every month, he said he had to modify or fine tune it a bit more so that it would work fine...he tried working with the script for quite some time and came to the conclusion he needed to modify it further.As I am not a powershell expert..i couldnt comment further.
I am a bit confused here since in the post you have clearly mentioned you have completly tested it and it is for rotating drives.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Case # 00445433
I am not sure why the key doesnt work in my case. I have a seperate job and not a Backup copy job going to the RDX drive. I have applied the key and still the job fails with this error.
Error: Client error: File does not exist. File: [F:\Offsite Backup\Offsite Backup2013-10-29T010127.vbk]. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].
In this case a full vbk is created everyday when the RDX drive is rotated. Since there is no vib on the RDX drive, do I still need to use the script? Any reason why the key doesnt work?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The key should definitely work, assuming there are no VIB files on the target drive. Did your support engineer say anything on the possible reason of such behavior?
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

The key is not working in my case, Vitaliy.
The support engineer asked me to use the script and see. I really think this case should be escalated and a proper investigation should be done as to why this is not working.