Post by foggy »

Thanks for the update, Lucio.
SeanD
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sean Donaghey

Re: v7 Configuration Backup error.

Post by SeanD »

I just installed 7.0 R2 and I have the configuration backup problem. I put in my SMTP credentials and that did not help.

I guess the next step is to open a ticket! I have seen a lot of people being told to open a ticket, but never anyone posting with a resolution.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

SeanD wrote:I guess the next step is to open a ticket! I have seen a lot of people being told to open a ticket, but never anyone posting with a resolution.
Neither resolution nor case ID so we could track it for the resolution. So yes, the next step is to open a ticket.
SeanD
Influencer

Post by SeanD » 1 person likes this post

I have opened a case with support. Ticket # 00477687.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

Make sure there is a username and password in you veeam settings for snmp
SeanD
Influencer

Post by SeanD »

SNMP or SMTP? There isn't any username/password for SNMP.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

SMTP
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

Sean, please have a look at my previous post: http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?p=92451#p92451
I found this solution with the help of Tech Support. Maybe this also applies to you.
SeanD
Influencer

Post by SeanD »

Ding ding ding! Moebius that did it!

That worked! I have been working with Veeam support and they had no idea about this. I will tell the Veeam support guy and maybe Veeam can create a KB article on this issue and help others in the future.

Sean
Moebius wrote:Sean, please have a look at my previous post: http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?p=92451#p92451
I found this solution with the help of Tech Support. Maybe this also applies to you.
PR1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Robinson

Post by PR1 »

Also found our config backups had failed since v7 upgrade, changing snmp settings did not make any difference, the fix mentioned for adding the servers local administrator account to the "manage credentials" did allow the backup to work ok - thanks Moebius
linuxx
Lurker

[MERGED] Config Backup Error

Post by linuxx »

I am getting the infamous "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: itemName" error when I attempt a config backup. I have added SMTP credentials as recommended by other posts with no luck. Before I submit a ticket, I figured I would ask here if anyone has any other possible answers.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If neither of the tips mentioned above helps, then it is time to open a case.
dlowe
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Darryl Lowe

Post by dlowe »

We are having the same issue, as we recently upgraded from 6.5 to 7.0 Patch3a. I've read through the comments on this thread and it seems like the development team are not making this a priority to fix, and leaving it to support. I was going to open a support case, but thought I'd see if this was a known or common issue. Turns out it's known and common, since the first release of version 7.0, and here we are at Patch3a with no resolution. Doesn't seem right to have to open a support case and troubleshoot at this point, seeing that its been nearly 7 months or so since the issue was reported.

Any advice?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

dlowe wrote:Doesn't seem right to have to open a support case and troubleshoot at this point, seeing that its been nearly 7 months or so since the issue was reported.
It's always worth contacting support with all technical issues. Even if there's no public fix implemented in one of the patches, there's a chance that they have a private one for your particular occurrence (as in one of the posts in the thread referred to above).
dlowe
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Darryl Lowe

Post by dlowe » 1 person likes this post

foggy wrote:It's always worth contacting support with all technical issues. Even if there's no public fix implemented in one of the patches, there's a chance that they have a private one for your particular occurrence (as in one of the posts in the thread referred to above).
Ok, I opened a support case and just by the error message I sent them (note - I didn't need to send any logs), they basically gave me the following, which fixed the issue:

Cause of this issue is some values are missing from the table [dbo].[Credentials]

If we look at Job Export_backup_configuration Backup.log we will most likely find error similar to what is here below:
[29.08.2013 14:25:42] <01> Error Value cannot be null.\n'''Parameter name: itemName''' (System.ArgumentNullException)
[29.08.2013 14:25:42] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Configuration.Extra.V65.CredentialItem..ctor(Guid id, String tableName, String fieldName, String itemName, String typeName, String groupName, String userName, String description, String xpath, Boolean visible)
[29.08.2013 14:25:42] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.XmlCredDescription.CredentialItemArray.Add(CDbCredentials credentials)
[29.08.2013 14:25:42] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.XmlCredDescription.Serialize(Stream outputStream)
[29.08.2013 14:25:42] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CConfFullBackupPerformer.ExecuteJob()
[29.08.2013 14:25:42] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CConfFullBackupPerformer.Execute()

Run this SQL query and all should be good..
UPDATE [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[Credentials] SET user_Name = 'unknown' WHERE user_Name = ''
UPDATE [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[Hosts] SET credentials_id = '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000' where name= 'This server'

http://www.veeam.com/kb1443 can assist with running query..

I ran the SQL query commands above through 'MS SQL Studio Manager' and it successfully updated 2 records, and then I was able to backup the configuration.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glad everything works as expected now. Thanks for updating us.
johncarter2009
Lurker
Full Name: John Cart

Post by johncarter2009 »

Thanks for the info, the sql query fixed our backup issue. Waiting for support on a know bug is frustrating 00558071.

Ran first line with 0 results, and one result from second. Did a manual config backup, and finally got green success checkmark.

Code: Select all

Run this SQL query and all should be good..
UPDATE [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[Credentials] SET user_Name = 'unknown' WHERE user_Name = ''
UPDATE [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[Hosts] SET credentials_id = '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000' where name= 'This server'
Thanks for the help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John, thanks for sharing the script, however for future readers, I would still recommend to let our support team guide you through the process to make sure you experience the same issue.
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE » 1 person likes this post

Hi all,

I had the same issue and was solved by the same SQL command.
DragonBeast
Lurker
Full Name: Timothy Doel

Post by DragonBeast »

If anyone still runs into this problem.
This solved it for me.
http://www.veeam.com/kb1807