Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
smassey
Novice
Liked: never

V7 - Understanding the features of Backup Copy Jobs

Post by smassey »

I've got V7 set up in a test environment to test it before upgrading my production backup servers. I really like some of the enhancements in V7 so far, and I have a couple of questions about the capabilities of the Backup Copy Jobs feature.

1. I currently have my test copy job set to run every day. Around midnight, I get an email saying it was successful and restarts, even though it hasn't copied the entire initial full backup yet. Does it pick up where it left off when the copy job starts up again, or does it add a new incremental backup? If the job fails or is suspended because the backup time window closes (if I have it set to not run during a certain time), does it resume where it left off, or does it create a new incremental file and start transferring from the beginning?

2. Can I seed the initial full backup at my remote repository? If I do this, will the job need to recopy the data from the primary backup storage to the secondary backup storage?

2a. In my production environment at $work, I currently back up directly offsite. When I upgrade to V7, I want to take advantage of the backup copy jobs feature by backing up locally and just copying offsite. If I start storing my backups locally, can I link or map the local backup to the remote backup? Will it be aware of what blocks have been backed up prior and avoid resending all of that data to my remote site?

3. Aside from WAN acceleration, are there any differences between the backup copy job features in Standard, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: V7 - Understanding the features of Backup Copy Jobs

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
If the job fails or is suspended because the backup time window closes (if I have it set to not run during a certain time), does it resume where it left off, or does it create a new incremental file and start transferring from the beginning?
Yes it would start where it left and will try to upload the whole restore point + what was created/changed during the time it was inactive.
Can I seed the initial full backup at my remote repository? If I do this, will the job need to recopy the data from the primary backup storage to the secondary backup storage?
Yes, if you already have a full backup file for the processed VM on the target backup repository and you plan to copy VM restore points over the WAN and slow connections, you can use backup mapping.
If I start storing my backups locally, can I link or map the local backup to the remote backup? Will it be aware of what blocks have been backed up prior and avoid resending all of that data to my remote site
When you create backup copy job you specify source repository and VMs whose restore points you want to copy to the target backup repository.
Aside from WAN acceleration, are there any differences between the backup copy job features in Standard, Enterprise, and Enterprise Plus?
None.

For detailed explanation of the feature or its mechanics please refer to Veeam v7 User Guide >Overview > Backup Copy Job (p.100). Thank you.
smassey
Novice
Liked: never

Post by smassey »

Dmitry,

Thank you for your answers.

This will give me some things to test tonight.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome - have a great testing!