Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RandyC
Lurker
Liked: never

v7 WAN Acceleration vs Dedupe Appliance Replication

Post by RandyC »

We are trying to decide if the Enterprise Plus license of Veeam 7.0 makes sense for our company. Here is our usage scenario:

3 Host ESXi 5.1 Cluster with 55 VM's
DataDomain 620 Backup Device replicating via DD Replication (file level) to another DD620 at a remote site

The most intriguiging feature in E+ is the Backup Copy and WAN Acceleration. Would disabling the DD replication in favor of Veeam Backup Copy and WAN Acceleration reduce the amount of data moved from site to site and/or reduce the amount of time for the copies to take place?

We would be very interested to hear of other Veeam users' experiences in a similar environment and what kind of results they are getting.

Also, am I overlooking other advantages in the E+ version as opposed to regular Enterprise?

Thanks in advance to any and all who have information to share on a configuration similar to what I'm describing.

- Randy
luckyinfil
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Re: Enterprise vs. Enterprise Plus

Post by luckyinfil »

Veeam replication/wan acceleration would probably be better for you as Veeam uses change block tracking instead of a file level check. The wan accelerators can also cache blocks of data that are frequently transferred which will reduce the amount of data transferred. The best thing is that the amount of cache for the blocks is configurable.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Enterprise vs. Enterprise Plus

Post by Gostev »

DataDomain replication should be about as efficient as our WAN Acceleration, so if I were you, I would not change the way you do things today.

The benefit of our built-in WAN acceleration is that it is storage-agnostic, and thus can potentially save LOTS of money for new deployments. However, for those already invested in paired DataDomain storage, there is probably no sense to switch.

As for other features, take a look at the full comparison document between product editions, you can find on the Resources tab of the product page. Did not want to post the direct link, because this will change with next versions, and this may confuse future readers.
markwyeth
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Wyeth

[MERGED] v7 WAN Acceleration vs Dedupe Appliance Replication

Post by markwyeth »

Hi,

Our current set up is:
Veeam 6.1 Enterprise
Backup jobs are stored locally on a Dedupe appliance (Dell DR4000)
The backup files are then replicated to a second DR4000 at an offsite location over a 40MB/s link via the replication built into the DR4000

My question is whether there would be any advantage to upgrading to Enterprise Plus and using the WAN Acceleration feature?

Cheers

Mark