Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hucmat
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Hucker

V8 removable media repository

Post by hucmat »

Hi,

Previously I was using v7 with the associated registry keys for handling removable media (using an RDX for offsite backup) and using Backup Copy Jobs; all was working reasonably well. I've recently upgraded to v8 and as per the new recommendation I've set the repository to Backed by Rotated Hard Drives in the GUI and removed the old registry keys. However since doing this I'm running in to a lot of backup copy jobs not finishing or erroring out.

1. Backup copy jobs seem to write a new restore point before merging the previous incremental and full. This is causing an issue as the RDX is running out of space before the new restore point has finished writing. Previously with the registry keys I was setting the job to delete everything in the repository before running to get around this.

2. I get a "The given key was not present in the dictionary" error fairly regularly. I'm not sure what is causing this, but if i then go and remove the backup from the Veeam repository, the job then runs ok.

I guess after all of this rambling my questions are:
Should I be going about this another way?
Is there an option in v8 to remove old backups from the repository before attempting to make a new restore point?

I can work around it by calling a script to clean out the old backups before the Backup Copy Job starts, but I'd prefer to have Veeam handle it all. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V8 removable media repository

Post by foggy »

Matt, you can continue using the old reg keys to cleanup repository, they still work with v8 for compatibility reasons. That said, I would recommend to contact technical support regarding the error you're getting.
hucmat
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Hucker

Post by hucmat »

Ok I'll put those registry keys in and keep an eye on it to see if it solves the dictionary key errors as well.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Also, some issues you are listing vaguely remind me issues resolved by 8.0 Update 2, so be sure to update your product as well. Thanks!